Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tweaking SerandEz...

For a long time, this blog has been loading particularly slowly. Sure, I tell people to get Mozilla (which is a better browser anyway), and that helps - but the blog itself is slower than other ones anyway. I've been cleaning up the template lately, and with the addition of the beautiful header (thanks Chaim!) yesterday, it emphasized just how slow it is. Until yesterday, you'd see a blank top for a couple seconds, then the rest; now, you see the header for a couple seconds, then the rest.

Now, I could go on a rant about how 3 seconds really aren't all that important - but I'm just as spoiled when it comes to pages loading on a computer. So I've been trying to fix it up, getting rid of the (nice) garbage on the sidebar I don't really need. I will not delete it all - in fact, what's left now I'd like to keep. But if people could let me know which parts are loading slow, that would be great. When a page loads, the bottom left part of your browser [where it probably says "Done" now] says what exactly is loading. If you can tell me if there are any parts there that seem to take a while, that would be great - I'd be able to see if it's common to everybody.

There really may be no solution, short of switching templates. As Mirty noted, which I've mentioned in the past, all the blogs that use this "Scribe" template seem to load slower. Others don't think so - and either way, this blog is slower than those. I thought it may be all the links that I put in: Much as a Haveil Havalim host's page may slow a bit, my roundups may slow things down as well. However, I didn't do a roundup for a few days to see if it would help, and it didn't.

Heh - MCAryeh just commented it's much better. Do others agree?

14 comments:

  1. Slightly better. I am using IE 6, and it loads the top banner and stuff on the left margin immeidately. The slow part is the content in the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AT - It loads them completely, or they're "blurry"? If it's blurry, that means it's getting caught on something on the sidebar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The side loads completely and clearly. Probably because they are somewhat permanent so my browser doesnt need to reload it every time. Thye content in the middle takes a long time, and doesn't always show up at the top. Sometimes it shows up (in the center of the page but) beneath the lowest sidebar graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's usually a function of the space I set for margins etc. overlapping. I made the middle column [slightly] smaller now, so that shouldn't happen anymore... let me know if it does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Firefox. There is a definite improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It loads fine .. ezzie, dont worry on it. Also, if someone doesnt have firefox .. they are missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does load quicker, but its still a bit slow. Since most people have the attention span of a fruitfly you might still want to consider changing the template. It would be painful for you at first but in a week you'd be used to it. Or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm using Firefox... it seems better now, but then again, my Firefox hasn't been working that great... In any case, I don't mind waiting extra 3 sec, it's not a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MFM - Thanks. I'm going to have to try and it see if I like it, unless I can see if Blogger has any suggestions for people using Scribe. Maybe I'll create another blog to test it. Hmmm...

    Since most people have the attention span of a fruitfly

    LOL. I loved that line.

    In any case, I don't mind waiting extra 3 sec, it's not a big deal!

    Irina - Oooh, more evolved than a fruitfly. And you blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ezzie, maybe it's just my computer, but your post is showing up about half way down the page...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apparently that's true for anyone using Internet Explorer. I spent a LONG time trying ways to fix it - but there's nothing I can do.

    Switch to Mozilla! It's better anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete