Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ezzie's Blog Roundup, 1/31

After a couple hours of fixing my computer, I finally have rid it of the latest problem. It bothers me to no end that what seems to cause the biggest problems on my computer these days are not viruses or worms, spyware or adware - but rather, glitches caused by components of my computer's hardware or software for which I spent a lot of money. After much Googling and trying different suggestions, I finally discovered that Norton was causing the problems I was having - requiring me to uninstall and reinstall it, which takes a long time...

I don't understand: Mozilla Firefox, AIM Triton, Spybot, Picasa, Skype, and Blogger all work wonderfully - and were free. Dell, Microsoft's Windows, and Symantec/Norton charge me a decent amount of money... and cause problems?! What is wrong with this picture?

:::sigh::: And now, on to the roundup:

It's going to be a bit of a showcase today, with a number of blogs you probably haven't seen (except perhaps here).

Rafi G. opens his real mailbox and finds two items: An incredible letter from a terror victim's father about the movie, Paradise Now; and some tzedakah spam, which he wonders whether to ignore or read.

Oleh Chadasha gives a really great, smart, and complete analyzation of Israel's responsibility in terms of Iran.

(From S.) Bava Dilbert looks at the history of Jewish head coverings.

Nephtuli explains how Hamas is completely different than Hitler.

Jameel begins a fantastic story about a trip to Manila. His checkpoint experience in Israel, however, is an incredible reminder of just how "on edge" Israelis are.

Orthomom discusses the Jewish Press article I blasted.

Mirty discusses a fascinating study about analytical parents and autistic children.

Jack talks about a blogger's nightmare...

Help BeyondBT spend some money!

AbbaGav notes that not much has changed in the Middle East reporting. BlogHead knows why.

Miriam also notes another person running for Knesset - and he's just opened a blog, too. I guess Ze'ev isn't the only one.

Dave explains the real reason for the blue stripes on the Israeli flag... there were a few people who did this, in response to a dumb Hamas comment from earlier, but Dave's was the most encompassing and first I saw.

Robbie draws cartoons for the first time. Let's hope this isn't a recurring feature. (Okay, they were all right...)

Technorati tags: , , .

13 comments:

  1. Good roundup Ezzie. I have also been having major Symantec problems. Very frustrating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good roundup. Do you know who is hosting HH this week?

    Norton is nothing but trouble, I use AVG instead, it's free, updates daily and keeps me bug free.

    Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/cqyq9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jameel - that's terrible! Maybe write about "Mo-nee-la"? ;)

    MCAryeh - Ouch. Like what?

    IYWI - Overall I like Norton; I never have problems with viruses et al. I've heard of AVG, it's supposed to be pretty good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great round-up, par usu-al.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezzie: Hmm - that's an interesting idea. I could write M*nila and Philippin*s...what a concept!

    I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestion (and really interesting blog! Best of luck!) - I already paid for Norton, and have another 600 days or so, so I don't think I'd pay for another one. That's another issue...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ezzie, it's very simple. It's because Microsoft, Dell, and the other cronies are the MAN. And, DAMN THE MAN!! SAVE THE EMPIRE!!

    J/k. But, it definitely has to do with those guys have more to lose by not getting their products out quickly (w/out checking all the kinks. i.e. the ME OS), and they know that most ordinary folks don't "understand" that free open source stuff. However, this arrogance is coming to bite them in the butt as more and more people are learning the glory of open sourcing and are making the switch even without knowing all that much about what it is. Who care how it works, as long as it works, and it's FREE!!

    My husband was reading the tech section of Maariv and saw that the new Tiger O/S from Mac has been "Stolen", and they don't know by whom. It's predicted that whoever took it is trying to create an open source/free version of it, so that w/in a few years, a great FREE O/S will be out there for all to grab. Have you heard about this? It's great yet potentially disastrous, for the economy that is. We'll have to see.

    The industry better start preparing for this kind of stuff, b/c it's happening whether they like it or not.

    And, don't buy Norton. They actually put more viruses on your computer than they erase. Right now, I'm using ad-aware and a-vast. They're pretty good. My husbdand is trying out some other stuff also. I can keep you updated when he finds something good, if you'd like. Later.
    -OC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the switch to an open-source community... It has its plusses and minuses, but it needs Microsoft around to encourage people to do better. :)

    I have Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Norton. Together, they work great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, especially since this week's HH was held up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ezzie you may want to consider microsofts anti-spyware and it's free for now too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - JBM, on any other post, that would be spam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LBM, I got that also. I don't think it's that great.

    ReplyDelete