Pages

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I Wish More Jews Were Like This

No time for a full roundup, as I have to be in Manhattan pretty early this morning, but I wanted to highlight this post by IsraellyCool from yesterday.

Excerpts:
Ha'aretz reports on how the Black Eyed Peas wowed fans with their Zionist sentiments.
Just when it seems too late by far, something hits us upside our calloused shell of a head, and there it is. From a direction we could not expect, something comes to fan long-buried Zionist faith back to life.

The Black Eyed Peas, for example.

They stopped at nothing. They spoke about the possibility of moving to Israel to live. "Y'see, I brought my mom and my grandma. You know, we're Christian, but I think I'm gonna convert to Judaism ..."

The audience, which came knowing every syllable of every infinitely complex song, was caught entirely unprepared. They were witnessing a full-blown Revival Meeting of that old time Zionism, and it was their turn to testify.

Testify they did.

In seconds, they were delirious.

The band broke into a horn driven, Mussel Shoals-seasoned "Hava Nagila." The crowd, already bananas, roared so loud it would have surprised no one had it been capable of levitating itself through sheer animal delight, and a peculiarly local version of loud, proud, surprised, oddly patriotic, unedited love.
I have been a fan of the Black Eyed Peas music for quite a while. Now I count myself a fan of the Black Eyed Peas.
Amen. And... Wow. Read the whole thing.

7 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like "Lets get it started in here" will havta be taken off my ipod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is really into the Peas. It always amazes me when non-Jews (even the famous ones) are so pro-Israel. Too bad our brother and sisters get caught up in the politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NKN - Heh. (You're not really NK, right?)

    Kasamba - Yep :)

    Neil - Amen to that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sura am,in fact "Lets get it started in here" is the NK flag burning theme song - well it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!!! This is what I was waiting for! Fergie converting to Judaism! I found my barshert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NKN - LOL.

    Shua - ROFL... so THAT's why you're not dating yet...

    ReplyDelete