Pages

Monday, July 17, 2006

The Holy Hyrax Speaketh

A while ago, Ezzie invited me over to post something. The only stipulations he gave me was that I can't curse, no liberal crap, and not too much kfira. Ya, my thoughts exactly. This Ezzie guy is some sort of dictator nut. The other reason I did not post was because I did not having anything meaningful to post (outside of a few rants). Well, things have changed now in light of what's going on in Israel. Now, some of you might have heard of a small blog by some shmoe called Godol Hador. Apparently, he has retired,(*holding back tears*) but if anyone has been following his last few posts, some of them have been dedicated to discussions of the Myers-Briggs personality tests (INTP, ISTJ etc). In order to really take these tests, or any other tests such as these, one must really have a good sense of self-awareness. Since then, I have really been doing some soul-searching on a few issues. One, specifically, is what's happening in Israel right now.

A few days ago, someone came into my office to talk to my boss. On the way to his office, he passed me, and I overheard him say something like: "WE are going into Lebanon...." All of a sudden, I stopped working. WE? WE? Did I just here him say: "WE?" For some reason, it hit me. How could anyone here say "WE" when discussing anything going on in Israel. We live here now. In American, not Israel. By what right do can we use the word "WE"? As much as we talk about it, we are not the ones being fired upon. We get to sit back and relax at home. Our only connection with Israel at this point is the 10:00PM news. But then something else hit me, and this is where the self-awareness comes in. Why are we really feeling bad for the situation in Israel? What's behind it all? Do we truly care for all the citizens of that country? Do we want Peace? Why? What's behind all the tears and tfillot? I came to the conclusion that the reason is selfish guilt. Now, don't get me wrong, we obviously we care for what's going on over there, but I think the number one reason, before the rest is nothing but guilt playing on our conscience, that we are here, and they are there. Sure we want peace, but why? I think, first and foremost, its because we want to be at ease with ourselves. We want peace there, so we will have a clean conscience living here while our brothers and sisters suffer in the land that we should be in as well. My wife today told me a story of when she was in the tzofim in L.A. during the first Persian Gulf War, they used to hand out Gas Masks to everyone. This was to show some sort of solidarity with Israel. What crap! Do Jews in Israel really care for a bunch of teenagers in LA showing their support by holding on to Gas Masks? If that isn't a way for someone to ease his conscience, then I don't know what is.

So why am I writing this? Basically because, I want to admit that I am guilty of being selfish. I am not thinking of my fellow Jews first, but of my own guilty conscience. I can't really help it, thats just how I am, but it's still no excuse. SO, I'm sorry. I'm sorry to any Jew in Israel reading this. I'm sorry that I am not in Israel right now. I'm sorry I'm not in my hometown of Nahariya in the shelter with friends and relatives. I'm sorry that I get to go out, and have fun, while missiles are falling down on peoples homes. I'm sorry I haven't prayed for you yet.

I'm sorry.

24 comments:

  1. Holy Hyrax - the fact that you feel guilty says a lot - that you still care. It does make a difference to me - living here in Israel. Of course, I wish you would move here also...and maybe someday you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why are we really feeling bad for the situation in Israel? What's behind it all? Do we truly care for all the citizens of that country? Do we want Peace? Why? What's behind all the tears and tfillot? I came to the conclusion that the reason is selfish guilt."

    How presumptious of you!
    IF you are detached from Israel...
    IF you do not see Israel as an extension of your own Jewish backyard...
    IF you do not see Israel as the sole exit strategy out of thousands of years of exile...

    ONLY THEN you can blame it on guilt.

    How dare you qualify our thoughts and actions abroad in one fell swoop on Jewish guilt. Of course, I can't speak for everyone either and I am sure there is a spectrum of connectedness that diaspora Jews feel, but I am readily acknowledging that. I would like to put more faith in people that when their shul says a prayer for Israel it's not done to lift a guilty concience.

    You, Hyrax, can rationalize for yourself. Please leave me out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. westbankmama,
    I diasgree. Guilt is not the proper response. Its a cop-out. How about responsibility for the larger Jewish community.

    We pray, give money and help because it is our responsibility. Period. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, Hyrax, can rationalize for yourself. Please leave me out of it.

    I think you are right, I shoulden't make it seem as if everyone is like this and it certainly was not my intention. Perhaps I should edit the post a bit. (Hey I did post this at 3:00am)

    I disagree with you on what you said here.

    IF you are detached from Israel...
    IF you do not see Israel as an extension of your own Jewish backyard...
    IF you do not see Israel as the sole exit strategy out of thousands of years of exile...

    ONLY THEN you can blame it on guilt.


    I think its because you're NOT detached from Eretz Israel that these feelings of guilt come out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks HH for clarifying your post.

    As for guilt...I stand by what I say. If you are CONNECTED then its not guilt. It's mourning...a loss of what to do in a meaningful way because we are a people of ONE but ironically through exile living around the globe.

    Guilt woud be appropriate if someone realizes that they should care more but do not because of general selfish indifference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guilt, can be for a number of reasons. I stand by what I said. I think if alot of people were more self aware of their emotions, they would see their "support" of ANY crisis in Israel comes from, first, a selfish need to be at ease with one self that they chose to live in Chul. Again, I am not saying that they don't care for Israel or Jews. I am saying that there is something subconsciencly inside them that is making them go to rallies, protests, etc. to ease their guilty conscience that they are not in Israel. They need to do this so they can feel "complete and that they are part of something. Am I saying its not their responsiblity to help. NO. All I am saying is that something else initially drives that support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and maybe someday you will.

    Oh, he will. he will ;)

    Nice image BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "selfish need to be at ease with one self that they chose to live in Chul."

    Your reasoning is predicated on this inaccurate assumption regarding people's attitude to Israel. Guilt might be an accurate expression if people feel bad for living in Chutz Laaretz and not Israel.

    However, as much as I identify with Israel (being Israeli myself) I do not feel the obligation to live there. I feel the DESIRE to live there, but I have no guilt for not living there. I transgressed no moral, ethical, religious or halachic lines by living in the United States. I deem my responsibility to my immediate family in a higher regard and do not want to abandon them to move with my wife and daughter to Israel. No guilt here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JH, I don't think I am disagreeing with you. I did not say everyone is like that. I am saying that this subconscience feeling is probably more predominant than people want to admit.

    Guilt might be an accurate expression if people feel bad for living in Chutz Laaretz and not Israel.

    Nu, exactly. I think this expression of their guilt comes out during some sort of crisis, and they long for peace to ease any discomfort they might be feeling for living in Chul. Again, this is all something subconscience that people are either not even aware of or they are but just don't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your reasoning is predicated on this inaccurate assumption regarding people's attitude to Israel. Guilt might be an accurate expression if people feel bad for living in Chutz Laaretz and not Israel.

    Let me reiterate, that I feel that alot of people DO feel guilty about living in Chul. Its something deep inside them that they feel. I can testify that though I love the United States and don't see myself making aliyah anytime soon at all, there is something inside of me that feels guilty for not being with my brothers and sisters in Israel. THAT is why I feel like can make that assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I transgressed no

    moral,


    true

    ethical,

    true

    religious

    false

    or halachic

    don't know your situation but it might be false. There is a chiuv to live there although there are several exceptions to the rule. being close to family is not one of those exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kibbud av v'aim....does that count for anything?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kibbud av v'aim....does that count for anything?

    Thats actually a good question. I know part of the reason that I do not see myself moving is because I know me moving would make my parents miserable. They have enough worries as it is, and I know they love that we are near them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kibbud av v'aim....does that count for anything?

    Of course it counts for something! It's a giant mitzva in the Torah. But it ALONE does not abrogate the chiuv. There are three basic categories of ptur from the mitzva: Torah, Chupa, and Parnassah.

    If one needs to be in chu"l for his Torah learning, he can stay.

    If he needs to be in chu"l to find a shiduch, he can stay.

    If he can not make a parnassa in EY, he can stay in chu"l (this is the most widely applicable one today)

    There are some other considerations but the overall approach needs to be "I have to live there but...."

    Not

    "I don't have to live there"

    ReplyDelete
  15. guilt, mourning...DO DOMETHING.
    Even those of us who are (lucky enough to be allowed to live here) in E"Y need to act.
    We get on with our lives, but just because we are in the bomb shelters (or not), does not give us the right to not do teshuva, daven with all our heart, give tzedaka and act justly (no, I NOT referring to our actions on either of the 2 fronts.) It's something we all need to do, it's the only thing we can do that will unite us, strenghten us and keep us from more war!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "guilt, mourning...DO DOMETHING"

    eema,
    We ARE doing something. Our conversation has nothing to do with whether to show our support or not...of course support is the answer. We are discussing the phenomenon of indifference and what it is rooted in...

    Please review our comments a little more carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "But it ALONE does not abrogate the chiuv."

    Chardal, this is presuming it is a chiyuv. Mitzvah I can hear and understand, but calling it a chiyuv sounds a little more debatable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mitzvah I can hear and understand, but calling it a chiyuv sounds a little more debatable.

    I have only found two contemporary opinions that claim it is a kiyumit. Rav Moshe Feinstein is one. The other is the Tzitz Eliezer but he contradicts himself in other teshuvot. All in all, there is that tzad, but if you look into it, it is a very difficult position to justify in the Ramban (which even Rav Moshe agrees we pasken like). And even if it is a kiyumit, that is also nothing to sneeze at. The gemara says one gets punished for ignoring a mitzva kiyumit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yo HH: Can I smack you a few times till you stop whining? Stop apologizing already! Sheesh...it's embarrassing!

    Listen - there's an expression used alot in the gemara "MiToch Shelo Lishma, Ba Lishma" -- if an action or thought is done enough...even if it didn't start witht he right intentions, it will end up BEING with the right intentions. Even if you CLAIM your entire feelings for EY and it's people are based on your own selfishness, in due time, it will be because of of unconditional love for EY the Jews who live there.

    I'm happy you have these thoughts to begin with -- not everyone does.

    So, on behalf of the People of Israel, I forgive you - and stop apologizing already!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, the post needed some sort of dramatical ending. Sue me. And anyways, Im not apologizing to you. Your just a settler :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. and I have a "clock" so I would be careful if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
    »

    ReplyDelete