Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Making Assumptions

I need a break from Israel-blogging for a moment... so here's a post on making assumptions.

As many of our friends and close readers of this blog know, Serach works as a SEIT in the neighborhood while I will iyH start working as an accountant in the fall. Thank God, we both will have very good jobs, with good pay, and my job has very good benefits as well. Many people think that we've got it made: Cute baby, good jobs, happy lives, lots of friends (especially nearby)... and they're right, we do. I can't complain one bit about our prospects for the future and how everything has shaped up.

But people also assume - because we have such great prospects - that everything is fine and dandy right now. That we have money to pay all our bills: Our rent, our health insurance, our electric and gas, etc. And the truth is... right now, we don't. We're not even close. We're sitting on [tens of] thousands of dollars of debt, with no chance of even paying off a small portion. There are no rich parents funding us, there are no people we feel comfortable borrowing from (though we have as it is and may again).

And before anyone asks where all our money has gone, think about this: In two years of marriage, we've probably had about $25,000 of income, maybe more, maybe less. Take that and our wedding money, subtract tuitions and living expenses, and you're left with a big negative number. We don't "waste" money (though we are not 'penny-pinchers'), and our biggest expense is probably Shabbos, because we tend to have a large number of people every meal.* Other than that, we're pretty much living on a tight budget and still can't afford it.

So, assumption #1 people should not make:
Don't assume that because someone may be or will be successful - even in the very near future - that they already are. Or that someone has money, just because they're not "poor" or complaining.
Then there's the reverse. We've talked with a number of close friends who were getting married about finances. Many are worried about how they're going to make it, considering the amount of school they have left, or the cost of living versus what they are making for now, etc. Our friends are smart, so they generally understand this, but others do not: When a person is explaining to you just how much debt they're in, and what the cost of living is, and how hard it is, their point is not to scare you, and their point is definitely not to complain. Their point is to show you that despite all of that, it can be done, and that there is no reason to stress a marriage or a relationship or a life over it. Do you need to be aware? Yes. Do you need to be smart? Yes. But do you need to constantly fret? No - it is only harmful.

So, assumption #2 people shouldn't make:
When someone does tell you about their finances, don't assume it's because they want to complain or whine (though it could be, and they just need someone to listen, so listen!). Often, they're trying to make a point - a point that can help you.
I don't need to complain about my finances or inability to pay my bills. I don't need a place to vent - I have a wife, family, and friends for that. I'm not anonymous, so for me, this isn't a place where I can vent anonymously when I don't want to go to any of those - if I needed that, I'd create another blog. (Maybe I did! :) ) That's not the point of this post. The point of this post is to tell people simply: Stop assuming so much. You never really know.

*This is the one expense we're pretty much unwilling to cut out, as we enjoy it, we think it's good for us, and we think it's good for our guests. What's somewhat ironic is hearing my friends who have just gotten married comment, when having a Shabbos with just themselves or perhaps a couple of guests, "You know what's really expensive? Shabbos. Shabbos is expensive."

12 comments:

  1. the assumption isn't so wrong to people wo have much less.

    But I agree in general that no one knows what really goes on by anyone, don't 'assume' the grass is greener just because your neighbour's lawn really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why don't you make aliya and not have to worry about tuition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezzie,
    We have been married fo 4 years and although my wife and I have solid and respectable jobs, the we always seem to be scraping pennies. But you should know that the reason why you feel like you are drowning is because you are investing so much right now that you have negative cashflow.

    For 3 years my wife was in nursing school and I was an entry level grub in the nonprofit world and had no financial support. WE KNOW what you are going through.

    Piece of advice: Do everything in your power to keep it from affecting your marriage. It is SO easy to argue over money, but SO foolish.

    Make it through this and you will respect money, and more importantly, each other than you would if you had a free ride...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezzie,

    Suzannah and I will be celebrating our 7th Anniversary this year. When we married, we both had nothing in the way of savings and much in the way of debt. Seven years later we have one child and a bunch more debt.

    However, we also have a way out. It's hard, but we know that in two years, G-d willing, we'll be debt-free.

    We know a lot of young couples in the same boat. They got married, had to relocate, find jobs, etc and are now playing catchup.

    Oh, and re: Shabbos. We feel the same way. Shabbos is non-negotiable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ezzie,
    I am hearing you. We too are in the same boat. My husband and I have been togeather for 7 years, and have 3 children, we rent the house we live in and the price of petrol really hurts right now - especially since we live in the country and have to drive 50km to be able to buy a litre of milk.

    I guess we can only hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HaShem determines your parnassah... Take care of HaShem (Shabbat etc) and HaShem takes care of you... HaShem gives you exactly what you need...

    Give it time... You are so young!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a true post!! It's never easy. We've been through periods of dual income and periods of single income. Debt doesn't seem to go away, but you survive. This post should be required reading for young couples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ezzie-

    We were 3 years married tons of with debt and stale jobs. We had 2 months left until we would need to move out of our apartment into our inlaws home(!!!!). At that time I remembered a story about a man who was told he would need to work on shabbos to keep his job, he responded that he would think about it. For the next few weeks he would fall asleep right before kiddush and sleep until the next morning. He went to his rebbe who asked him if he insulted the shabbos queen. He said this story about thinking about working on Shabbos, the rebbe told him to immediatly do teshuva and tell the boss there was no way he would do it. From that point he was awake during the meal.

    My husband and I made a resolution to not speak about business at our shabbos table at all. Since then we have recieved so much bracha. No we are not wealthy now (although that would be nice) but we can pay our bills and even have a house!!! We attribute it to honouring the shabbos queen and giving maaser even in times where it was so hard to put 10% in our tzedaka account.

    Oh I tottally agree with not letting money get in the way of marriage. To pay for a babysitter once a week and even go on a walk together is invaluable. Eventually you might be able to to dinner!! iy"h

    Hatlocha Raba.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prag - True, and exactly.

    Menachem - Who has to worry about tuition?

    JH - No, I am perfectly aware. Hence the first paragraph. And we don't let it affect our marriage, which is also kind of the point.

    Make it through this and you will respect money, and more importantly, each other than you would if you had a free ride...

    ABSOLUTELY. I think more couples should learn that.

    Mordechai - So in 2 years, you'll chip into ours? ;)

    Thanks - Nice to know we're not the only ones...

    Baleboosteh - Ouch! Amen... for all of us.

    Chana - Thank God, not too worried... :)

    Neil - Thanks, that's flattering!

    Anon - Great story. I'm not "into" stories like that, but the ideas are good ones. And yes, investing in some alone time is always worth it - especially if there are people who can do the babysitting for free! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm a doctor, and I've been in debt most of my adult life (still am, if you include my mortgage). I thought I'd never pay off my student loans, but I did--just in time to take out new ones for my daughter.

    I never thought I'd be the one saying this, but Hashem will provide. You do your best, work, spend responsibly, but beyond that, it's biyeday shamayim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PT - We hear the same from the (many) doctors (some medical, some not) in Serach's family. One with his own clinic in LA that is successful just now finished paying his off - and he has married kids.

    (FWIW, we paid our own college tuitions... and I paid for my years in Israel.)

    And amen - it's all up to God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
    »

    ReplyDelete