Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Gun Laws and Sad Irony

Robert Avrech pointed out something that's truly fascinating. The bill mentioned in the previous post about allowing people to carry guns on campus that didn't pass? It was apparently pushed for because...* that's how the last rampage on a Virginia campus was stopped, in 2002.

This just makes this horrific story that much sadder.

* - Note: I'm assuming that it's the same bill.
UPDATE: Not as sure it's the same bill, but the stopped rampage is mentioned in some articles about the bill.

3 comments:

  1. I am not a proponent of heavy gun control, but I don't believe that concealed weapons are a silver bullet either.

    There is no guarantee that armed students could or would have stopped this guy.

    If you are willing to die to murder others it is a whole different ball game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no guarantee, but there's a guarantee that nobody can shoot him if nobody's carrying. In 2002, those two students took down the shooter. I don't see why an armed student - and certainly, campus police - shouldn't have been able to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezzie,

    Those students ran back to their cars to get their weapons. I hear what you are saying, but I think that some of this is wishful thinking.

    On a different note, at my university I knew of a number of people who kept guns in their cars.

    I am not arguing against concealed weapons. All I am saying is that in a situation where someone is willing to die so that they can murder it is a whole different ball of wax.

    Tragic.

    ReplyDelete