Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Capturing the Essence

As I noted last night, Sarah pointed to a photo contest started by photoblogger Emanuel of Jewish Nation. This is the photo that immediately popped into my head.

Emanuel asked:
What is a Jewish photo? Is it the caption? The person who takes it? Or is it in the way a viewer see it? Every answer can be correct, but I want more. So I will present a challenge to you all, I would like you to take a photo, or use an existent one, and send me one that captures the essence of the Jewish Nation/People.

The process is simple.
All photos that I feel that captures that spirit will be published on my blog (I will remove those who not fulfil my requirements). In the end we all choose the winner.

Send the photo, with a comment, to
shamaym – AT – gmail.com
I think the following somewhat well-known photo taken last August epitomizes that which he is looking for.


We are a nation of kindred souls. We do not always agree, we do not always see eye to eye. We are religious, we are secular. We are right, we are left. We are stubborn, all. But through it all, even in our most painful moments, we are One Nation, serving the same God.

We are the Jewish People.

13 comments:

  1. I think anyone with eyesight would agree that is a spectacular photo. I have a quibble with this part of your caption"
    But through it all, even in our most painful moments, we are One Nation, serving the same God.

    I'm not sure that the secular government gives two figs about God. We are one people though and share in our identity. For me, that is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was wondering if anyone would object to that. But clearly Judaism is based on the service of God, and in this picture in particular the action they are involved in is the service of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a great photograph.
    i hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? I thought it got around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezzie,

    One of the things we're doing with the National Gazette is developing a pool of photographs for possible inclusion in our articles:

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/nationalgazette

    Obviously, AP photos aren't something we can use for legal reasons. However, we're excited about seeing what amateur photographers can provide. It's our belief that there are some great photographs out there taken by regular people like ourselves. It we can get them motivated to contribute their photographs, we scratch their backs by promoting their work or simply providing a little celebrity, 15 minutes of fame, badge of honor, call it what you like.

    If you have some established good relationships with folks like this Jewish photoblogger, we'd love to see if there is a way to collaborate with them. Any original photographs are welcome to be cross-listed in our small but growing pool.

    Potentially, any of those photos could get matched up with a well-written article by someone such as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great. As you get closer to starting, I'm going to be writing a post; I'll include that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I see that photo,it brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ezzie should I use this photo in my post?

    Le'Hit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
    »

    ReplyDelete