Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ezzie's Blog Roundup, 7/10: Carbon Monoxide

On Shabbos, a guy I know walked up to a friend of mine who lives upstairs from him and asked if he'd heard anything early in the morning. Apparently, he'd had to call the fire department to check out his apartment because his carbon monoxide detector went off. Thankfully, it was only a dead battery.

Steg's story is a little more perilous, and a perfect reminder of why every single home must have at least one carbon monoxide detector!
When the fire department arrived with their portable detector tools, they said that the level of CO (which cannot be seen or smelled) in the apartment had already reached such a level that we would have been dead in 8 hours or less. We would have just gone to sleep and never woken up for shul in the morning.
This is not a risk anyone should ever take. Buy a CO detector TODAY. (They're about $20.) We bought one on Sunday.



  1. There are also combination smoke/CO2 detectors that can be mounted on the ceiling as they are in most homes.

    Ours also has a voice recording that announces out loud what is happening (in English and French). It seems to be smart enuogh to detect a low battery as well.

  2. Is this just a NY thing? Or is it something that everyone round the world should have? And what causes increased levels of carbon monoxide?

  3. ~sarah~:

    you can find more info on various websites, but basicly, carbon monoxide is produced by burning stuff. sometimes, as by my friend this past shabbos, what's burning is the electrial wiring inside an appliance like an air conditioner, or inside the wiring of the building. since CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, there's no way to know that CO is being produced -- whether there's smoke being produced or not, there could be CO filling up the room/apartment/house.

    EVERYONE EVERYWHERE should worry and be prepared.