Pages

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Weirdness Prevails

I'm still figuring out what to write for some other posts, so in the meantime... here's the weird meme from Sarah:
"Play according to the rules... Each player of this game starts with the "6 Weird Things about You". People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says 'you are tagged' in their comments and tell them to read your blog!"
I think all of us are a little weird in our own way, so I'm not sure what really constitutes weird, but I'll give it a go anyway:
  • 1) I do everything far better at night than during the day. I'm really not sure why this is, but I love doing things at night - from work to writing to just about everything. I always studied late at night, or before the sun rose in the morning. I blog best at night. I write my best essays at night. I schmooze with people for hours at night. During the day? Complete spaceout.
  • 2) I never get tired... but I don't wake up well. (My mom is going "DUH".) I've stayed up for 40+ hours more times than I can count, functioning as well or better at the end than I did in the beginning. I once stayed up almost 72 straight hours, and only went to sleep because there was nobody left to talk to at that time of night. Yet it takes me forever to get out of bed. [This one was probably related to the first one.]
  • 3) I love standardized tests. I'll admit, this one is an ego-booster. Standardized tests usually contain a time element, which means that if you test well (and quickly) you're at a distinct advantage. I used to rock these types of tests, which is good because at some point in the next two years, I have to take a series of four CPA exams, which apparently are the toughest standardized tests of them all. But I'm not all that worried... which also plays a big factor. Unreasonable stress slows down your thinking, unless...
  • 4) I love pressure. This is probably part of (3). I always seemed to thrive when the pressure was on - 27 essays in 24 hours, a 50-page thesis in a day, learning a semester's worth of material in a few hours. [Note: Based on the first four things I've given so far, I think busy season shouldn't be too bad. :) ]
  • 5) I have an overly vivid imagination. I usually come across as kind of straightforward, but I'm generally overthinking behind that. The big problem is when it comes to medical stuff - I 'see' everything that's happening in my head. This means I do terribly with getting blood drawn, because I break it down in my head, while I get nauseous when people discuss internal medicine.
  • 6) I can't not do something with my hands. I have to be holding something, playing with something, or moving them around. It's why blogging is great - almost always, either both hands are on the keyboard or one is on the mouse, the other grabbing food or drink. :)
I think a few people have gotten this, but I'll think of who to tag later. Feel free to tag yourself!

8 comments:

  1. I never get tired... but I don't wake up well. (My mom is going "DUH".) I've stayed up for 40+ hours more times than I can count, functioning as well or better at the end than I did in the beginning. I once stayed up almost 72 straight hours, and only went to sleep because there was nobody left to talk to at that time of night. Yet it takes me forever to get out of bed.

    You don't function as well and you put yourself (and possibly others) in danger by not realizing this. The reason you cannot wake up is because your body is really tired. Only YOU think no one can tell but we can! It also contributes to irritability and snacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Most of these sound exactly like mine! Scary! I guess, that means I'll have to think harder about my own list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You love standardized tests? I thought I was the only weirdo who did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - :)

    Mommy - That's simply not true... I have always functioned much better very late at night. Think high school - there's a reason why you'd hear about me getting detention all the time...

    Irina - Wait, does that mean I'm still normal!?

    Charlie - :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. i reckon you're still normal. if there is such a thing.

    to quote someone "don't be normal, be yourself"

    1 - there are less distractions at night. people are asleep. it's quiet. in high school i did all my best work after 10.00pm too.

    2 - some people just aren't good in the morning, it takes time to wake up. specially if you've previously been awake for 40 hours. dunno how you do it.

    5 - it's hard not to overthink but it can be done! takes practice.

    6 - same. always fidgeting or doodling or playing with whatever is around or needing something to do. in israel it was crocheting. now it's blogging a lot! jewellery is useful for this fidgeting but generally not for boys. that would be weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - Thanks! Someone who understands...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The risks you take in being honest when your Mom reads your blog... ;-)

    I also do very well on timed tests. In HS I was always one of the first ones finished an exam. I wasn't big on checking my work. Thankfully, it was pretty much to my advantage.

    ReplyDelete