Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Molestation Targets

R' Horowitz sent the following information to me, in light of recent news and posts:
Which age group is most often targeted by child molesters?

In the interviews I conducted, the majority of molesters cited a preference for children on the brink of puberty. This is the age of sexual awakening, making it easy for molesters to prey on the sexual curiosity and ignorance of youngsters. To quote one of the predators I interviewed, "Give me a kid who knows nothing about sex, and you've given me my next victim."

While we as parents are inclined to give pre-teen children more freedom and less supervision, this age group is actually the most vulnerable to abuse and abduction. We must talk frankly and often to our children about "the birds and the bees" and not allow child molesters to educate our children for us.

3 comments:

  1. ahh i just came out from my class about sex offenders and i read this. Too creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think that being the mother of a 12 year old girl is the most frightening thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 1969 the Satmar Rebbe zt"l instructed that all boys should be informed about the 'facts of life'. I believe this was to counter 'abuse'.

    ReplyDelete