Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Writing vs. Editing

In writing, as in life, it is often far easier to find the faults in others than to see them in ourselves. In life, we almost always see the faults in others, along with knowing exactly what they need to do to "fix" the fault and just how it negatively affects them in their daily life. Meanwhile, we are either unaware of the same fault in ourselves, or choose to say "well, that's just me, deal with it."

G has so kindly referred to me as something along the lines of "Master Editor" of this blog. The truth is, I've always enjoyed editing far more than writing - I would glance at friends' papers in high school and immediately see a number of ways to improve, spruce up, or spice up even rather decent essays. In college, I did the same with papers and theses, sometimes getting paid for doing something that I actually enjoyed doing. Now, I'll take a look at posts or papers or books for people, and I'll still note which parts are unclear, which are too complicated, and which are simply boring.

And yet... my own writing is just not all that great. It's generally easy to read, and that's worth something, but it's not particularly deep, rarely written particularly well, and outside of slightly rewriting a sentence I'm in middle of, almost never gets edited. In fact, unless I was made to, I never had a "draft" in school - I just churned out the essay or paper and handed it in. Rewrite? Look for mistakes? Care to change from what I wrote the first time? These ideas always were foreign to me... best to just write it once, well, and that was it. If anything, I took my extra care in advance: While some may call this procrastination, I would generally spend time sitting with an open but empty Word document while I surfed the internet, reading, writing, checking my fantasy baseball team, and the like, while thinking about how I am going to format my essay - what it will be about, what parts I should leave out or insert, what points I wish to drive home - and then I'd start writing at about 12:30 (or 1, or 2...) in the morning and finish a little while later.

But editing... editing I can almost always do. There's something fun and interesting about editing. Perhaps it's the lack of pressure involved: If you miss something, it's not your "mistake". Perhaps it's the efficiency aspect: With very little work, a person can take something that's okay, or even decent, and turn it into something far better. Perhaps it's the ability to read or learn something new or interesting or important and take part in its getting out there for others to read. Perhaps it's a combination of all of these, really. Whatever it is, there's just something about editing that's fun and interesting that I enjoy even more than the writing itself.

13 comments:

  1. As you always say, you and I have a lot in common. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of us can relate to the inclination for editing. Personally, I also tend to be somewhat perfectionistic about my own writing, and I try to apply the principle to my life as well. I think all of us can benefit from occasional editing--whether in writing or life, whether done on our own or by others who care about us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I loved it! Thanks so much! It was really nice to hear something personal like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In fact, unless I was made to, I never had a "draft" in school - I just churned out the essay or paper and handed it in. Rewrite? Look for mistakes? Care to change from what I wrote the first time? These ideas always were foreign to me... best to just write it once, well, and that was it. If anything, I took my extra care in advance: While some may call this procrastination, I would generally spend time sitting with an open but empty Word document while I surfed the internet, reading, writing, checking my fantasy baseball team, and the like, while thinking about how I am going to format my essay - what it will be about, what parts I should leave out or insert, what points I wish to drive home - and then I'd start writing at about 12:30 (or 1, or 2...) in the morning and finish a little while later.

    Um, wow. That's me.

    First of all, none of what you said is unusual, I think. At least, I don't think it is because I'm mostly exactly the same way. I'm a much better editor of other people's work than I am of my own, and I think most people are like that. And papers, essays, and articles of other people that I edit usually come out better than my own stuff. I'm just too lazy. I hand in papers knowing they're not my best work but also knowing that, by the standards of the teacher, they'll probably still do well. I don't like doing it, but hey, we all have our weaknesses.

    Editing is fun for a number of reasons. There, that was cryptic enough, huh? I had this whole response written out and then decided I didn't like it. UH OH. I THINK I'M EDITING MY OWN WORK. Hmmmmmm. Sometimes I'm rather contradictory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually do go back and edit my posts (although rarely comments.) Most of the time, I cut those words that sound good when you're writing them but turn out to be counterproductive when you read them.

    E.g.: "I just can't believe how stupid you are" becomes "You are stupid." Not that I'd ever be so rude as to say such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it MUCH easier to write than to edit. This is because much of the work I get to edit is so poorly written that I have to somehow rewrite the whole thing while sticking closely enough to the author's words in order to get away with it.

    I do find it relaxing to edit decent papers that just need grammar help, though. It's nice to find mistakes when they actually WANT you to and it's not too late to do something about it (as opposed to just finding all the dumb mistakes in the latest already-published frum novel...)

    And I'm also not a big revisor of my own works -- but that's just because they're so good the first time... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. didn't read ur post-commenting cuz i saw a comment you left elsewhere- along with ur avatar-and had to comment on the undeniable cuteness of your baby
    zehu :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ezzie
    I majored in English literature, minored in Jewish Studies in university. Many times I got back papers with comments such as "awkward phrasing" or "you lose the reader at this point; your intention is lost". Go figure -- this awkard-phrase writer became an editor who corrects others' writing!
    Yes, I love to write, but editing gives me more power of sorts; I cringe when I see common spelling errors over and over -- especially in public, such as in print advertising and billboards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A) It's easier
    B)Corrector vs. Correctee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think most people dislike reviewing their own work. Someone else's work has a freshness and newness to it since someone else wrote it and that makes it fun and interesting to edit...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do very little editing. I should dooo mohre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I edit my posts to death, both before and after publishing them. I also edit my boss's memos, etc., to death, but at least I get paid for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. JA - I know. :)

    SJ - Amen...

    M - Thank you :)

    Erachet - You gotta stop doing that :P

    JA - I almost never go back and edit posts, unless I feel there's a mistake to be changed or something that really shouldn't have been in (I actually can't remember such a thing happening). And no, you're *never* rude in comments. :P

    B~M - That's interesting; I guess you just have had poor works to edit... I actually kind of enjoy that because it's like a puzzle to solve - how can I make this great while still letting the person who wrote it feel like it's theirs?

    Sabra - Thank you!!

    Pearl - Hehe - I've heard the same about ads for colleges and the like... :)

    G - I believe I said those. :P

    Pretzel - Amen, well put...!

    Jack - You should just SLOW DOWN. :)

    Shira - LOL. Halevai...!

    ReplyDelete