Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2007

On Friendship

I received the following e-mail tonight/this morning from a friend, and the timing couldn't have been better, as it discusses friendship. As we're going to be seeing a lot of friends today, yet at the same time I know that another friend will be on my mind, this letter really hit home. My friend gave me permission to post anonymously, and I thank my friend for that. [Hit expand to read the e-mail.]

The alleged college graduation speech about Sunscreen is an Urban Legend.

Forget Urban Legends, Invest in one of the most valuable commodities, your friends.

I write this from the apartment of a friend of mine in London. He's not even here, he just left the key for me with the doorman and told me to make myself at home.

Don't get me wrong; one should invest in Friendships not for the sake of getting anything in return. Friendships are good for the soul, so on a personal, selfish level, investing in friendships makes good altruistic sense.

Pirkei Avot teaches us, Aseh Licha Rav, make for ones self a Rav, a teacher.

uKnei Licha Chaver, and purchase a friend for ones self.

The mishna does not mean to literally "buy" friends, but teaches that the value of friendship is even higher than that of a teacher and Rabbi.

This evening in London I heard amazing first-hand stories of friendship, gemilut chassadim and hachnasat orchim to the point that the person telling over the actions had tears in his eyes.

And now, I'm typing this from the apartment of a friend who I know from yeshiva twenty years ago.

And I got a ride to the apartment from someone I don't know, never met before in my life, but when heard me ask for a cab to a specific neighborhood here in London, said not to bother, and offered me a ride there directly since it was on their way.

Invest in your friends, in your friendships.

You can be in the worst of moods, and yet a call from a friend can pick you up, revitalize you, turn your situation around 180 degrees, and lift your spirits.

חבר טוב לדרך הישר ר' יהושע אומר חבר טוב
גם אל הדרך הישר שרוצה האדם לילך, צריך להיות לזה חבר ורק אז יוכל באמת לישר דרכו, מה שאין כן בלא חבר טוב קשה לכוון את הדרך הישר והטוב.

ר' יהושע אומר חבר טוב
שנינו בגמרא (עירובין נג ע"ב ): "אמר רבי יהושע בן חנניא מימי לא נצחני אדם אלא תינוקת כו', .. פעם אחת הייתי מהלך בדרך, והיתה דרך עוברת בשדה והייתי מהלך בה, אמרה לי תינוקת לא שדה היא זו? אמרתי לה: לא, דרך כבושה היא. אמרה לי, ליסטים שכמותך כבשוה". כתב הגאון בעל עוללות אפרים (ב"מ רצ"ו) כי ממנו נלמד לענין מה שאנו רואים בהרבה אנשים דשים בעקב, תבואת שדה התורה הם המצוות, וכי ישאלוהו, מדוע ככה עשית? יענה ויאמר: הלא בדרך כבושה אני הולך! כבר דשו בה רבים! ועל זה השיבה התינוקת "ליסטים שכמותך כבשוה", הראשונים שעשו עברו איסור, ואתה מוסיף עליהם, ע"ש7. ואל זה הוא שכיוון רבי יהושע בן חנניא במאמרו כאן שהדרך הישרה שידבק בה האדם היא - "חבר טוב", שיורנו בדרך טובה.

It's the wisest investment you'll ever make.

No comments:

Post a Comment