Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Shifting Times

I'm Ha'aretz, PhD has a very good post decrying the shift of Jewish leadership over the years in terms of focus.

My personal take is quite simple. A good friend reported that a mutual Rebbe of ours had explained what "da'as Torah" meant to him by saying the following:
Whatever you do, make sure to find a Rebbe or Rav who is a ba'al mussar; someone who cares most about what is best for you.
A rav must understand what is best for the person he is speaking to and be concerned with that, not any outside factors such as how it 'looks', what fits best with how other people will view it, etc. I've always found this advice to be a key component in living a Jewish life.

1 comment:

  1. That is so so true.

    I have been through the stages of a wrong and right - for me - rav/rebbe and learnt that it is vital to have someone who cares most about you and is a ba'al mussar.

    ReplyDelete