Pages

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Cinderella Fiesta

Wow. Wow wow wow. I have never seen highlights from a football game quite like this. Boise State and Oklahoma last night had what is probably the most incredible ending to a college football game... ever. Wow. In the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, Boise State went up 28-10 early in the second half, but Oklahoma cut it to 28-20 with 90 seconds left, then scored a touchdown and converted the 2-point to tie the game. Oklahoma then picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown to go up with a minute left in the game... but Boise State kept coming. They ran a hook-and-ladder play to tie the game with :07 left, which is incredible enough. Then, after Heisman candidate Adrian Peterson ran for a touchdown on the first play of overtime from 25 yards out to put Oklahoma up 42-35, Boise State got the ball down to the 2-yard line on fourth down on their turn (college is not sudden-death). They then ran a halfback option, and scored a touchdown to cut it to 42-41; instead of kicking the PAT to tie, they went for the win... by running the old Statue of Liberty play to the running back. It worked, and they are the Fiesta Bowl champions. To top it off, the running back who scored the game-winner went into the stands and - with cameras rolling from an interview of him - proposed to his girlfriend, a Boise State cheerleader. Wow. Here are the highlights from the end:

2 comments:

  1. I watched this game live. I kept saying I would go to sleep but I couldn't. The most incredible ending to a football game I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I limited myself to one game. . . too bad it was the wrong one. My favorite game is a nailbiter that goes down to the wire where my team wins. Well, I don't care about Oklahoma, so I probably would have routed for the Cinderella team. What a thrilling set of highlights, especially the 2 point conversion. . . one of my favorite plays!

    What a game. I thought it was crazy to put Boise State in such a high Bowl game. They may have looked good all season, but they just don't have the difficulty in their schedule. Guess they had a lot to prove.

    Is the proposal on tape anywhere out there? You can't arrange that type of moment.

    ReplyDelete