Pages

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ezzie's Blog Roundup, 1/2/07: 5:00 AM

I'm the type of person who all too often is up at 5 in the morning... but today was different. Today I wasn't up at 5am because I'd stayed up from the night before; today I was up a little before 5 because I woke up that early. I can't remember the last time I'd done such a thing, but the last time I would get up early on a regular basis was high school, to borrow my friends' notes to study for tests and finals. It's a bit strange to wake up in darkness...

EDIT:
I forgot this one (from Bari). Saddam was nice to the birds. Yay. Articles like this annoy me, as if they're trying to say "Oh, he wasn't really such a bad guy." Shut up and read this, okay?
Here are a few good posts out there from this morning:
  • Hirhurim has R' Herschel Shachter's latest opinion on why one is halachically permitted (required?) to turn over an abusive person to the authorities. Krum notes just what specifically was added in this responsa versus the first one.
  • Rafi G notes an interesting story: Sderot is suing the State of Israel for backtaxes in light of the lack of security the government is giving them. It will be interesting to see how this plays out...
  • EoZ finds that Israel may be saving the planet again - by raising fish in the desert. Wow.
  • Pearl explains why she's going to keep on writing. Why do you?
  • KesherTalk discusses the unimagined milestone; StillWonderin' explains how Saddam's death is a nice reminder of how much Bush has accomplished.
  • IsraellyCool has his top 10 "Seperated at Births" from 2006. Heh. And Jameel reports that Hezbollah has come out with a fragrance. (That's not a joke, by the way.) [I saw the story elsewhere first, but can't remember where.]
  • DaveBender finds that Iran is now claiming Hitler was actually Jewish. I'm not sure if this is better or worse than denying the Holocaust.
Have a wonderful... morning?

6 comments:

  1. I think that the extent to which the concept of being "moser" keeps coming up is disproportionate vis a vis the crimes being addressed. I know mesirah is real, and serious. But in this case (as Krum notes regarding abuse cases) I feel that it bespeaks something wrong with our morals as frum people when we allow fear of being "moser" to preclude bringing real justice against the real criminals.

    I find it sad that as a (former)public school teacher and mandated reporter of any cases of SUSPECTED abuse, not only were the obligations more clear and unequivocal, I also felt completely safe and justified if the need arose to bring up a concern. Moreover, those laws are in place to protect those children who truly need our protection, and with no regard as to whether Reb so-and-so will suffer in prison as a Jew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezzie, I can't believe you drew attention to my little personal blog post in this particular roundup of real informative items that find a place in recent world current events.
    Thank you.

    I was up between 3 and 5 a.m. today, reading blogs and writing emails. (feeding my "waned blog addiction" at those hours...as I couldn't sleep anyhow) It's interesting to see who's online on the other side of the world in OUR wee small hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RM - Agreed completely. It troubles me greatly that there is even a need for such a psak...

    Pearl - You should have said hello! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. since it is morning here (quarter to two... so much for an early night) and i can't sleep... i've ended up at my computer so i thank you for your roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezzie, for someone who's just 19, you sure have your head on straight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, since about October and until about April, I will wake up every morning in the dark, as it is only getting light for a couple of hours every day - and no you can not get used to that, and yes, it does feel middle of the night even though it is 7am or 3pm...

    Over here in Europe your early morning hours are almost lunch time for us....

    ReplyDelete