Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Pairs

A pair of good reads and videos out there...
  • "Sam Smith" is back at BeyondBT. His first post was the most resonating they've had - this one will likely resonate with most people as well.
    In any event, the brutal truth is that, especially now that I have older kids, I am simply overwhelmed by all the expenses, unable to carry all my accumulated debt, and even the partial tuitions I am paying have pushed me to and over the edge of financial ruin. There is no retirement plan in my life, no hidden stocks, no wealthy parents, in-laws or uncles ready to leave me their fortune and rescue me.

    After many years and many tuitions I simply didn’t make it financially, at least in contemporary, North American Orthodox-community terms. I didn’t become a doctor or lawyer or businessman. I didn’t marry into wealth.
  • Wolf reminds us just what some people are actually learning from our educational system (though I think this extreme is rare).
  • Meanwhile, Olah Chadasha points us to the incredible British expose of a number of supposed "moderate" mosques in the UK. It's a must-watch to understand what people are being taught.
  • Finally, our barbarian friend Ozy has Charlie Daniels' band playing The Devil Went Down To Georgia. Awesome.
  • Bonus: David Linn just sent me a link to this hilarious bit some people may have seen already... The Red Sox announcers and a guest comedian have a great time mocking Mel Gibson's anti-Semitism.
Check them all out.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, that clip made the rounds already, but it's hysterical... it's also slightly edited for language, LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never cheered for the Red Sox before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that article too- and I have to say that while I didn't comment on it there, there is a whole moneyed elite that has a set of expectations and get rather snotty about those who don't. I make an ok living- but I can't afford to send my kids to Jewish day school- and I never will- I get asked about it all the time, I get told that there are scholarships, but the reality is that even with the scholarships I can't pay. I pay twice as much in rent for my apartment than I should so I can walk to shul. I pay twice as much for food because I keep kosher. I give as much tzedaka as I can- and at the end of the month- man there just isn't much left over. Sometimes I really feel like the whole BT thing is just an exclusive club for successful people who are looking to fill the void in their life that chasing money all those years didn't fill. I know that's being harsh, but sometimes I feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amishav - I don't think that's true, though it could be for some. As to tuition... that's why so many people are having financial difficulties. I should note that in some cities, tuition is reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amishav,

    I think that view is waaaaaaaaaaay off, but i still love ya like a brother. BTW, I'm still waiting for that shipment of fresh Colorado snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ami,

    Hold off on the snow, we got our own today and yesterday. Thanks anyway :)

    ReplyDelete