Pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Guest Post from the Cubicle King II

Slogans That Really Annoy Me
I was walking through the office today and I saw a box from a certain Donut establishment that said "America Runs on Dunkin' ". In addition there is an athletic looking caricature of a runner that appears above this slogan.

I have a question for all you geniuses out there. When was the last time you saw anyone who frequents a donut shop run anywhere? I know Dunkin' Donuts sells coffee and perhaps that is what they are really referring to, but I think it is a little pretentious of a Donut shop to be saying that any country runs off its deepfried nourishment.

Then to add insult to injury they use a fitness caricature above this asinine slogan. Between you and me we know dunking donuts is responsible for a lot more people keeling over than running.

The geniuses who came up with this advertising are shameless. They must be related to the people at FOX who run commercials that say "The moment you have been waiting for all year..................Yes, American Idol is back" Like I have been standing in time square with wearable billboard that says I have been waiting all year for a crappy reality show with talent less tone deaf contestants.

I think it is time we took a stand against such advertising that insults our intelligence, or at least run away from it.

If you have any slogans that get under your skin, please post them here and provide an explanation why.

~ Cubicle King

5 comments:

  1. I think my SIL hates Cingular's "Raising the bar". As she put it... "they haven't raised any of the bars on MY phone..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. at home one of the tv channels has this slogan for broadcasting big events and they call themselves the channel of "event bigness".
    that's not even a word as far as i'm concerned and australian idol is not a big event in the scheme of things and definitely not enough to warrant a whole newly made up word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about that FOX thing. Everyone knows the slogan should be:

    "The Power of Bauer"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant think of any slogans, but I hate when the commercials show a nice friendly operator waiting to help you. Yet when you call, its just a machine and when you GET a human, you actually prefer talking to the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh... you're nitpicking on the Dunkin Donuts thing. The commercials are referring to Coffee, and the point is that America, which runs on coffee, prefers Dunkin Donuts coffee. The running man is a representation of the word "runs," not an attempt at saying you'll get healthy by eating their product.

    That said, allow me to present a slogan that I actually like: Staples' "That was easy" campaign. They've made a fortune selling Easy Buttons for five bucks (I've bought two: one for myself, one as a gift), and it's very catchy. That's good marketing for you.

    ReplyDelete