Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Quotes to Live By

I've always had a few favorite quotes; lately, I've been adding to them. Feel free to drop some of your own in the comments. If you think I stole one from you, you may be right. :)
  • "Be yourself, because the people who care don't matter, and the people who matter don't care." - Serach [on the phone a couple of days after our first date]
  • "Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued is just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." - Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • "Honesty is a hard attribute to find/when we all want to seem like/we've got it all figured out. Let me be the first to say/that I don't have a clue/I don't have all the answers/ain't gonna pretend like I do. Just trying... to find my way. Trying... to find my way/the best that I know how." - Trying, Lifehouse
  • "I wanted to change the world, but I realized it was too large of a task for one person, so I tried to change my community. That was also too hard, so I tried to change my family. That was also too hard, so I decided to try and change myself. And though it was very hard, I finally changed myself. And once I changed myself, I discovered my family changed, the community changed, and the entire world changed." - R' Israel Lipkin Salanter
  • "Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain
  • "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • "Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." - Albert Einstein
  • "The best way to cheer yourself up is to try and cheer somebody else up." - Mark Twain
  • "Laugh and the world laughs with you." - Uncle Marvin

25 comments:

  1. "Shut up and play." - Greg Phillips, high school basketball coach

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some good ones there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My senior quote, which I still like, was "Knowing is half the battle." GI Joe.

    I like yours also though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Happiness is a Warm Gun" -- John Lennon

    ReplyDelete
  5. SILENCE is GOLDEN, DUCT TAPE is SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "All our visitors bring happiness, some by coming, others by going"! (Now go)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the more you read the more you know, the more you know the smarter you grow, the smarter you grow, the stronger your voice, when speaking your mind, or making a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. grandchildren are your reward for having children!


    when the older generation,criticizes the younger generation, they tend to forget who raised them!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... dear Darla, i hate your freakin guts! you make me vomit. your like th scum between my toes! LOVE, ALFALFA (alfalfa, little raskals)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your nose smells and your feet run, but your nose runs and your feet smell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. may your work be like your nose... full of green stuff!

    may your life be like a roll of toilet paper- long and useful!

    may your husband be like coffee, dark and rich!

    i know, i know, iv'e regressed to second grade! but its fun letting out the kid in me- which reminds me of another quote "I don't wanna grow up"!(Peter Pan)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here are some quotes about books!

    Here is a quote that I've heard but I can't remember the exact wording or who said it.

    "An English novel is a book where a man and a woman fall in love and then complain about it for 400 pages."

    Also...

    "Never judge a book by its movie." -- J.W. Eagan

    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." --Mark Twain

    "Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." --P.J. O'Rourke

    If you go to quotationspage.com, they have lots of fun quotes to browse through on lots of different subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. good quotes!

    a list of my faves is on my facebook but one i remember from school is: 'silence is golden so shut up and get rich'

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's one for shidduch/dating books:
    "When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    And a spin on the Serach quote: "Be yourself; everyone else is taken." -attributed to Oscar Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe that Peter Pan said
    "I won't grow up,"
    while "I don't wanna grow up," is the Toys R Us slogan. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh and my blog motto: "Reality is for people who lack imagination."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let's see...Twain, Roosevelt, Einstein, Hawthorne, Reb Yisroel...and my wife....

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma" (Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow)

    ReplyDelete
  21. "In life, a person must learn to accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue."

    "In three words I can sum up all that I've learned about life: It Goes On." -Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really great ones, everybody, even Serach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How about:

    "No matter where you go... there you are."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never criticise anybody until you have walked a mile in her or his shoes, that way when you do you are a mile away and you have their shoes.Brad

    ReplyDelete