Pages

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Ezzie's Blog Roundup, 4/6: M-Z Mayhem

An anon who has been commenting lately wonders, appropriately, "What's with all the teasers?!" I think that's a fair question. I don't intend to consistently leave teasers, unless it's specifically because a post is part of a story (such as the "How I Met Serach" series in the sidebar - which, as an aside, I hope to return to next week). But lately, I've done it quite a bit, and I can see how this seems like I'm 'teasing' some readers.

As I responded in the comments, it's partially for myself - I look back at some recent posts with "teasers" and see what I intended to post about. This is especially necessary lately, when I'm not sure when I'll be able to get online and post something, and it's sometimes directed to certain people reading who are expecting a post on a specific subject which I promised them. Other times, it's simply that I start to write, don't have time, and instead put up a "I'm really going to do this when I have time" post. The problem always is that something else comes up, and I write about that instead, and again, and again... and sometimes I never get around to the posts I really want to.

Heh - sometimes, I wish the world would just :::stop::: so I could catch up on my blogging. :)

Okay, and now, on to the roundup:

BoroPark Riots:
As noted below, Life-of-Rubin is Riot Central. A ton of bloggers have expressed their thoughts on the whole ordeal, including myself, but I especially liked PsychoToddler's thoughts on the matter. An excerpt:
Well, why shouldn't we?

Because we're supposed to be different, that's why. We're supposed to be better than them. We pride ourselves on being a "light unto the nations." What kind of crappy light were we being yesterday in Boro Park? Burning magazines over a traffic stop?? I don't want to go into the details of the case, but the person arrested was doing something illegal and probably dangerous to boot, and it's probably better that he's off the road. Did the police manhandle him? Quite possibly, and that's justification for a community sponsored discussion with the authorities, or maybe a peaceful little demonstration. But rioting like animals? Why shouldn't we?
There's a lot more.

On the other side, a troubling note caught by Orthomom and also called in to me by my friend Groovin': The pure anti-semitism on a message board that NYPD officers rant on.

Finally, The Town Crier links to the NYTimes' story on this. I have to commend Mr. Schick for blasting both the cops who arrested him, assuming his story is accurate, but more importantly, the rioters - he does so unequivocally.
Of writings and rants:
RenReb writes a non-rant - who knew? :) [Actually, I almost always look at her rants as "positive posts", but maybe that's just me reading between the lines.]

Pearl rests, thinks, writes, and smiles. Good for her. I can't comment on Blogger blogs again, for some reason, so go comment there for me - and for her.

Robbie writes a... well, you have to read this - Robbie can write seriously, too.

Finally, WestBankMama writes how Peretz shot himself in the foot. Excellent points.
Check them all out!

3 comments:

  1. Ezzie - thanks for the link. How do you do it with a newborn in the house? Get some sleep man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezzie- it's interesting that you linked to Psychotoddler's analysis because you liked it and I linked to it because I totally disagreed. I saw PT's post as totally misrepresentative of the problem. "Why shouldn't we riot?!" How about, why haven't we ever rioted before, and chances are never will again... because this isn't a commonplace event that people need to be convinced is wrong! Turning it into a theological issue is unfair to Judaism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WBM - Thank God, she's a great baby. :)

    PhD - Responded by you! :)

    ReplyDelete