Pages

Friday, April 28, 2006

$150 Sheva Brachos

Well, that's about what a Sheva Brachos should cost... in total, maybe. But definitely not as a price that should be charged to come as a guest! Read Sephardi Lady's excellent post. Inspired, I wrote this comment:
Wow, disgusting. I thought it was bad enough when people would have outrageous Sheva Brachos; now they're charging the guests?!

FWIW, I'm about to have a kiddush. We're not only not using a hall or anywhere else, but having it in our apartment, but I went shopping last night for most of the stuff I need for Shabbos. This includes meals for 12, 16, and 12 adults and 5 kids each meal. The kiddush we expect anywhere from 60-75 people on top of the family members (which sounds outrageous, but I live across from Chof Chaim, and went to a Chof Chaim HS, so a lot of friends are there; and I live a block away from Lander College, where I currently am). Including everything I spent money on yesterday, last night, and this morning, though I still haven't gotten the meat for chulent, I think I'm at just over $300. In NYC. And we're having a ton of food. [Granted, other people are making a lot of stuff for the kiddush.]

If I included the costs of everything people are bringing and everything we're still getting, the total costs run to about $500-600 for all the meals and the kiddush, including food, utensils, tablecloths, and the like.

$150/person for Sheva Brachos? That's simply trying to cash in.
Back to cooking!

6 comments:

  1. Have fun with your kiddush. I've always found that big noodle salads can keep the price of a meal or kiddush reasonable.

    Have fun cooking! I assume you are in charge or the kitchen today?

    And, congrads on keeping the price that low in New York! As you know, in out of town communities where we shop in "normal" grocery stores, there are sales to take advantage of on the basics like pastas, condiments, etc. NY is like shopping retail plus and it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezzie,

    I'm trying to stop by the kiddush, so you may want to up that food order a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never, ever heard of this. Wow. That is just . . . well . . . WRONG.
    Good luck with your kiddush! sounds great! shabbat shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. usually people pay me for the honor of attending their simcha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope your kiddush and shabbat was nice with all the guests!! sounds like you did well preparing though! you will probably have leftovers all week ;)

    I think it is ridiculous (and rude) to charge someone (that much especially) if you are the host inviting. if someone wants a fancy shevah brachot they cannon assume their guests can afford the same as them.

    that being said, some of the nicest sheva brachot i've been to have probably cost less than $150!
    in fact, i've made sheva brachot that probably wouldn't have cost me that much because it's easy to cook simple, nice food (i'll have to post some recipes for the kcc) and people help out (they offer... i wouldn't ask unless they were good friends) and bring dishes. and everyone always has a really nice time! so it's not what you do or where you go, it's the people you are with that makes the atmosphere of the event.

    shavua tov!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SL - I was in charge somewhat; my brother does catering on the side, so he was the bossy underling. :)

    NY is like shopping retail plus and it hurts.

    Ooo, that's a great way of putting it!

    David - It was great seeing you! Not my fault the 3rd pot of chulent died during the night... did you get any? I hear it was great. But even if not, at least we got to make fun of Prof. Justice, right? :)

    EK - Thanks!

    HH - Ha! But I think you're misunderstanding... they say they would pay you, but can't afford it. You buy that, and don't come. They win. ;)

    Sarah - All MONTH.

    And that's an excellent point about people assuming others can afford what they can; I think that's true in many other aspects, as well.

    And the cheapest ones are almost always the nicest.

    it's not what you do or where you go, it's the people you are with that makes the atmosphere of the event.

    AMEN.

    ReplyDelete