Pages

Monday, April 10, 2006

Scared Silent

*I started to write this post, and it got erased. Rather than rewrite the whole thing, I'm going to write it short and to the point.

I didn't want to write about the BoroPark riots any more than I already have, but Orthonomics and Romach, among others, brought up a troubling point: We have not heard much from the Rabbinic authorities in Brooklyn regarding what happened, in particular condemning the outrageous actions of those involved.

Sephardi Lady:
I am so disturbed by the silence and even more concerned by those who justify the riots, thereby excusing the property damage (one police cruiser was severely damaged, one was completely destroyed) and uncivilized, animalistic behavior. So far we have seen one public letter from Rabbi Yacov Horowitz, a menahel from Monsey and I have heard that HaModia published a repudiation of the riots. Considering that these riots were seen the world over on national television, it should go without saying that this repudiation lacks a punch. I am sure there is a great amount of condemnation taking place in Boro Park, but the rest of the world needs to know that the parents and leaders of that community are upset too.
Or, as Romach put it:
But here's the important question: Where are the Rabbonim of Boro Park? Where are the letters? Or are they speaking up within the community? Why do we have to hear publicly only from a menahel in Monsey?!
Many are quick to assume that their silence is a tacit approval of what happened, or at least a lack of outrage over the terrible actions that were committed in BoroPark last week. This is a legitimate outlook on the situation which raises serious questions - but perhaps it's something completely different.

What if the Rabbonim of BoroPark are simply scared? Could it be that with all that has happened over the past number of years in the Jewish community, Rabbonim are afraid to speak up? Whether it's fear for their own well-being, their family, their shul, or simply their position, perhaps they're deciding that speaking up is not worth the risks involved.

While this is pure speculation, I think it has a lot of merit. The other logical option is that which was stated above: Perhaps they condone the rioting or don't truly condemn that which happened. But I find this difficult to believe - could it be that they truly believe that such a spectacle was somehow a positive occurence? I think not. Instead, I wonder if they're running scared....

Which may be even scarier for the rest of us.

13 comments:

  1. Actual Jewish community leadership is a joke. At least at the "street level." The folks who can actually curb street violence are the ones least likely to do so, since they are not the ones who have to interact with the higher echelons of city government.

    Jewish leadership has a bloated top level of management, with a lackadasical middle management. The obvious result is chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not *quite* sure I understood that properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezzie, the problem is people in Boro Park still don't think it was such a horrible reaction. I was in Boro Park on Sunday and I spoke to a couple locals I know there.

    Most of the people there are more angry with the cops still than with the way people acted. They dismiss the riots on bored bochurim home for yom tov. Which is completely inexcusable anyway. They are in denial about how big this was. They don't see the "big picture" and worse they don't care.

    They really do think they live in their own little shtetel world and what happens outside boro park doesn't make a difference to them.

    They just see the police as the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chaim - absolutely agreed. I'm questioning the lack of response by rabbonim - do they feel the same way, or are they simply scared?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the facts about the riot, but I do know that it did not look good and I agree that the rabbnical leaders should be saying SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemme see if I can clarify.

    It's my impression that the rabbis who are best able to control their followers are not the ones who have to deal with the fallout of this event (at least not directly). They tend to interact with the city through a buffer of elected officials and non-profits who are unable to control the "Jewish street."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Therefore what? Their responsibility should be to speak to their constituents and control them - speak out and state "This was absolutely wrong." They should take care of their responsibilities as Jewish leaders, even if that is only within the community and not externally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting and maybe even plausible analysis, Ezzie. But, without leadership, where are we?

    ReplyDelete
  9. But, without leadership, where are we?

    I'm not sure what you're asking. I think that outside of Brooklyn, rabbonim are doing a far better job of leadership. Not everywhere, just as there are some good rabbonim in Brooklyn - but overall, I think most rabbonim would condemn such actions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Therefore what? Their responsibility should be to speak to their constituents and control them - speak out and state "This was absolutely wrong." They should take care of their responsibilities as Jewish leaders, even if that is only within the community and not externally.

    I absolutely agree with you. I was trying to point out how the Jewush community leadership structure in Boro Park is dysfunctional- the leaders are not properly incentivized to do what's right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Hey, it's not a REAL Chilul Hashem, right? I mean, what Jew watches TV? And non-Jews don't count"

    No really, I know someone who thinks that.

    ReplyDelete