Pages

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Is it working?! Yes!

Blogger is finally working... but posts will still have to wait. Today has been a very busy day full of important tasks. I just finished watching the Indians defeat the White Sox in 11 innings to take 2 of 3 in Chicago, capping a great start to the season - especially considering the Indians didn't play all that great overall. And, in about an hour or so, the Cavs are playing the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, and there's a possibility I'm going to go to the game to see Lebron for the very first time (live). The Cavs are trying to win their 10th in a row; the Knicks seem to be trying to lose their 10th in a row. Nice.

Meanwhile, if you've been following, Life-of-Rubin was the first I saw to cover this last night, and still seems to be the best blogger to go to for updates on the riots in Boropark. A bunch of other J-bloggers picked it up - LoR has rounded them up somewhat as well. My quick take in a comment at DovBear about this, after LoR and DB discussed the "excuse" people gave that "cops give too many tickets here":
I recently had to drive in Flatbush for something. I was *disgusted* by the way people drove, parked, and acted. I *wanted* cops to come and start ticketing a lot of the jerks who were double- or triple-parked, stopping with cars behind them to take care of whatever they needed to take care of, cutting people off, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc. You break the law, you deserve to get punished.

And even if it wasn't justified that they were getting tickets, to RIOT?! Sickening.

Finally, I'd have to agree with the comment above that the yeshivish community (along with the chassidish) does not *generally* respect the authority of the government (US, State, Local). This is less true as they mature when they're older, but within yeshivos? No doubt in my mind.

While I think that's generally true of people in that age range (OM says it's "older teens"), I think it's far worse among the yeshivish communities.
Ugh.

On a related note, I've always been impressed with the yeshivos that do respect the laws of the secular government, particularly the Chofetz Chaim branches around the country (including my high school, WITS) and those people I've met from Ner Yisroel (Baltimore).

6 comments:

  1. But what about the allegation that someone got beat up (not that it's any excuse to riot)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad that blogger is working for you again! although fair enough if you have to watch a game or two! :p

    as for boropark: appalling behaviour. these people are not above the law, in fact, one would think that as a chasidishe area they would follow the law for the sake of derech eretz EVEN if they do not respect the government. unfortunately, these type of people happen to be the worst drivers i have ever seen, a law unto themselves, totally dangerous. (i was scared to cross the road there!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My indignation was mounting with all that yeshiva-bashing talk until I read the disclaimer on the bottom that referred to my beloved Chofetz Chaim. In truth, I wasn't born into "the system", I only married in. I didn't even know much about it until after I was married. But I totally agree. Their respect for the law, their emphasis on mussar and middos and creating a kiddush Hashem, and their dedication to Harbotzas Torah - bringing the beauty of Torah to those who wouldn't have necessarily had the chance to experience it fully - are truly to be admired. May my own family be zocheh to contribute to these worthy causes in a meaningful way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo, I can comment on my own blog! (Finally!)

    Irina - if true, that should be investigated. The clear anti-semitism on a police message board should be as well.

    Sarah - couldn't go to the game in the end. But at least I didn't see the Cavs lose with 6 seconds left... :)

    Ayelet - IyH they will.

    I was trying to make clear that not all yeshivish people are a certain way, nor are all yeshivos the same. Merely that the overwhelming feeling one gets is often disdain for government rule and disrespect for secular authority. Are all people like this? Obviously not. Most? I don't think so. But a sizable, and outspoken, percentage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Task isn't the correct word for YOUR watching an Indians or Cavs game!

    ReplyDelete