Pages

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Bad & Good News

For all those waiting for pictures... there's bad news and good news. The bad news is that my mother hasn't seen the pictures either, and for some reason, although I'm finally connected to the Internet, I still can't actually e-mail anybody from it. I can get emails, and it claims I can send them too, but when I try... there's an error message.

But, thanks to my retaining my SBC Yahoo account for the last many years, even though I no longer live in my parents' home, I can upload pictures (as many as I want) to there and let my parents see them that way. Once that happens, more pictures should appear here at SerandEz. So... soon! Really! :)

9 comments:

  1. Daddy hasn't seen pictures either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're accessing the internet from a different location, but using Outlook/Outlook Express/Thunderbird you need to change your outgoing SMTP servers.

    A few months ago most of the major ISP's stopped allowing you to send emails through other servers, you had to use their own. So if you were using DSL before and have cable now, you need to change your settings. Otherwise you'll be able to receive messages, but not send.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! Now, the question is... to what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who was your ISP before and who is it now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Verizon before, but I'm at someone who has cable through OptOnline now. They use AOL, so there's nothing for me to compare it to in Outlook, for example...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember AOL having some weird deal where they gave you broadband access that could only connect through AOL. But I think it was with DSL and not cable (which is optonline).

    But, and I think this likely, they probably use AOL but have optimum online also. In other words, you don't need to sign onto AOL to use the cable modem. You just need to connect to the modem or router.

    Go into the account settings in Outlook. Write down your verizon username and password (if there is one) and change the outgoing SMTP server to mail.optonline.net.

    Once you plug into the router (or wireless) you should be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - I'll try that - the only issue I had was what to change the smtp to...

    ReplyDelete