Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Remembering... Who?

There are a number of beautiful, heart-rending posts in the blogosphere regarding Yom HaShoah - Holocaust Rememberance Day - which is today. Irina has a roundup of a number of excellent ones within her own post. Jewlicious has an excellent post as well, which is where this picture is taken from.
For me, however, there is little to write. I have always had some trouble relating to the Holocaust, at least to the extent I see others doing so. A family friend helps run Yad Vashem, and though we spent hours there when I was young - and I remember clearly that visit - I still don't have that *connection*. I remember spending time at the Holocaust Museum on a school trip and being thoroughly disappointed - we only had about an hour to be there, and I was barely out of the first room when we had to leave. When I went to Yad Vashem again as a post-high school student, we had a little time, but again - not enough.

But the primary reason I think I am so distant from the Holocaust is simply this: My family wasn't there. All of my grandparents were born in the United States. I think I may have had great-grandparents born in America. We are - thankfully - a family without tragic stories from the past, without lost parents and siblings, without recollections of atrocities. The closest anyone in my family got to the Holocaust was my grandfather, who served in the Air Force Army in World War II. Without that personal connection, it just seems more difficult to relate to that which happened.

But I think that this is the point. As the last survivors fade away from this world, it will become harder and harder for all of us to relate to that which happened. The Holocaust deniers aren't waiting - they have been pushing their lies for decades already. We must - absolutely must - make sure that the atrocities which happened are never forgotten. Those memories, those images, those tragic stories must always remain an integral lesson to the world, to the Jewish nation, to each of us individually.

Never again? Never forget.

15 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat. All of my immediate family was safely in Canada at least a generation prior to the Holocaust.
    I do know that Hitler didn't care if a Jew believed in God or not though. So I would have been gonzo if I was in Europe during the Holocaust.
    The Holocaust probably turned quite a few Jews away from God. I know I've heard the argument that it strengthened the beliefs of some too.
    But of course I think science as turned many into Agnostics/Atheists too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAJ - Very true. It's a reminder that no matter how one thinks of himself, he is still a Jew.

    The Holocaust did turn people both to and from God. Science has done the same - not only from, but to. [Especially in physics, and especially lately.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm third generation American. I have no genetic connection to the Shoah. My wife, however, is first generation American. Her family has given me a connection to those horrific years in Klal Yisroel's history. On a day like this (and more so on Tisha B'Av)we can remember the one's who died "Al Kiddush Hashem" and try to live a life they couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Ezzie...I appreciate your willingness to be honest and admit that without personal connection it is difficult to relate. But that you still understand the importance of remembering and paying respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandpa served in the Army, not the Air Force. Yes, all your Great-Grandparents came well before the Holocaust. I remember Daddy & I took you to the Holocaust Museum and we spent most of the day there. I think you were very thorough reading all the explanations, but it's something you have to go back to again as an adult, when you can understand more, and go again and again. The emotion one feels is nothing compared to a day in the life of one who went through it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, I love that your mom comments on your blog (hi mom...your son is a real mensch)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful entry. I don't think it's necessary to be able to relate to the Holocaust in a personal way to understand it and its implications properly. And I think you do a great job demonstrating just that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neil - more so on Tisha B'av, true. Well put. And interestingly, my wife's family also was not really in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CM - Thanks, and thanks! My mom reads always, comments rarely - usually to correct me. Right, Mom? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Irina - Thanks. Funny that you wrote a whole post after saying you had little to say - great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Xvi - Its for that EXACT reason that we need an established yom hashoah.

    Interesting point, and well said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks.

    It just happened. Free association, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't all blogging free association? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ezzie,

    Grandpa Luchins also served in the U.S. Army, as I'm sure you know. As a College Prof, he was exempt from service and could have stayed home and been safe. Instead, he felt it was his duty to serve.

    Just FYI.

    I'll be doing a blog post on the Shoah later. I'll point you there.

    ReplyDelete