Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2007

New Customer Service?

I'd noticed over the last few days that there was a repeating hit coming out of Dell - as if my blog were included in some profile about me. I figured this had something to do with my recent post about them, and Serach's been calling daily, as the manager who called back only did so on Saturday (the day she explicitly mentioned they should not, as we're Jewish, but that's another matter). Today, though, I received this comment from someone at Dell - and all I can say is wow:
Hello,

My name is Mike,

I’m a Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read your post and wanted to see if I could be of any help. I can definitely empathize with your situation, I’ve been in the tech industry for many years and have seen all kinds of failures, but the one thing that always remains constant is the frustration of having a downed computer. I understand from the post that the fan has gone out on your machine which is causing it to overheat. I also read that you’ve had this fixed a few times before so you’re worried about it happening again, but while you’re out of warranty. That would be a real concern for me as well so I want to see what can be done for you. If you can get back to me at customer_advocate@dell.com with this topic in the subject line, ATTN: Mike B. (overheating system), I’ll get back to you ASAP. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,

Mike.
Dell customer advocate
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but this is encouraging at the least.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like a good first step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very smart of Dell to pay attention to what is being said about them on blogs. They have the opportunity to turn a disgruntled customer into a company evangelizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Innnnnnnnteresting. Hmmm. I'd be weirded out, but hey, if something good comes of it, great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very much in the line of big company wierdness. Images of '1982' are coming to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll know you had impact when the customer service people you call start to be Americans who know the product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm glad you're getting some help, but I think it's really too bad that the only way Dell will provide that level of help is by being so publicly lambasted-and of course, that level of help is presumably only offered to those who do. I don't think a company should operate this way, but I suppose that, realistically, many do. The squeaky wheel, etc. Well, at least the Internet provides a tool to get some attention.

    ReplyDelete