Friday, March 09, 2007

Hosting a Seder

Ladies and gentlemen, come this Pesach, I will be hosting my very first seder. Yup, you heard me right. Do any of you care? Well, I hope you do. Cause all of you were once where I am. Soooooooo, I need your help, wisdom, advice, money and ideas. What can I do to make it lively? What do you guys do? Do you guys buy fake frogs and put it in your borsht? Do you put on costumes? I cant take a seder that lasts till the next morning, but I also dont want to speed read.

I would like to avoid the midrashic tales. You know, the ones that say 5 billion Jews were in Egypt but only a few left. I kind of want to gear it more towards a historical take on the Exodus. Infact, do any of you have a recomendation for a good haggadah?

Here is a custom that I can share with you. It comes from our persian friends, the Persians. When you get to the song "Dienu" you beat eachother with large green onions. I guess it is supposed to symbolize the onions the egyptians used to whip the slaves with. Shifra, this would be a great custom to have handy when your mother-in-law comes for a visit. Sorry, that was uncalled for. I will delete it.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing some suggestions from Ezzie's loyal readership (all 5 of them)

Powered by WebAds