Pages

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Comment of the Day (Drunk Teens & Balance)

C! left a great comment last night that's worth reposting: (emphasis mine)
FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF A 20 YEAR OLD:

this is just an add on to the topic- What goes on in florida over winter break is not just happening there- Ive noticed on facebook that there are a good percentage of middle/highschool kids doing lots of things, that were never even considered when i was in highschool, in thier own town- i see pictures of kids smoking hooka, going to concerts (not tznius at all), smoking, drinkin, all over guys/girls. The bar has deff risen-what used to be considered "bad" is not even a question these days.

If parents would take two minutes to look at thier childrens facebook profile I think they would be shocked at what their kids are doing. Kids do not need all the freedom they want- it is not a good thing!

And this is not only kids in school- i see pictures of people I went to school with making out with guys and clubbing- Once you are older its hard to control but I wonder what makes people go off and do these things??

Also parents should realize that if they send thier kid to yeshiva/seminary in israel and the kid is partyin it up in thier hometown/vacation there is a good chance that they will be wasting thier 15,000$ by sending them away so that they can party totally unsupervised. Kids need to prove to thier parents that they can be trusted. My father said something to me before I left to Israel for my year -"dont do something that will cost me 15000-Never mind dont do something that will then cost YOU 15,000$"- Smart advice and not that I would have done anything it made me realize how I need to be responsible for my own actions- Parents: when kids do stuff that you dont allow it needs to be punished not just forgotten about-if there is no punishment then there is no reason not to do it again.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the repost...
    ezzie isnt my dads comment soo my dad?!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's *exactly* what I thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget, it goes both ways. Parents also need to be trusted, and one of the things that could majorly backfire on a parent is spying on their kid - or getting caught doing so, whether by going through their online profiles or by other means. All parents can do it try their best and hope for good luck, because thats probably the most underrated and uncontrollable factor that goes into parenting - luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rea - Of course, the point is Balance. As for luck... there is some of that, but I don't think there's so much.

    ReplyDelete