Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Sub-Par Spin III...

...I'm reading your new words
Got me ten different kinds of sad
And I'm hearing what you say
But I just can't believe you now
You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down
But wait...
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around and say..

That it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late
See yesterday's post. (previously:Sub-Par, Sub-Par II, Why Post)

I am posting the below e-mail as a way of responding to Rav Balanson's "apology" for his remarks. Each person can judge for themselves if they feel that he honestly thinks his original comments were truly "insensitive, untrue and unfounded" and "far harsher than in the context in which they were stated".

In an odd sort of way I am very disappointed in Rav Balanson. I may not have agreed with his worldview and am glad that the result is what it turned out to be. However, despite it all there was at least a sense of respect for someone who held what he held and was willing to say it straight regardless of how it sounded to others, who did and said what he thought was right and was his idea of the true ratzon Hashem and damn those who just don't or won't get it.

Oh well...I guess it's easier when the person on the other side is a kid who doesn't know what he knows yet. So much for doing what God wants and following/listening to Da'as Torah no matter what.

--this e-mail was never part of the publicly sent chain, it was sent in response to personal e-mail about the original remarks concerning YU made by Rav Balanson... I received it via e-mail--
Rabbi, I love and respect you deeply, but this recent set of Q and A's really let me down. How can you bash a respected yeshiva like YU so openly? It's really insulting to the hundreds of sincere bochrim learning there now and to the thousands of graduates such as myself. I really hope that you apologize for these comments soon, before these comments spread even further than it has. For OJ's sake, please apologize.

A: Two points. First of all, I will copy for you a letter that I sent out to one of my talmidim, which explains the situation - a bit of dan l'kaf z'chus would be nice. Second of all, the OJ newsletter will include a letter that I sent to Dr. Davis at YU, clarifying my stand.


Thank you and have a Chag Kasher V'Sameach.

Asher Balanson

The letter that I wrote to one of the talmidim:


I hope Rebbe is doing well. I recently read this passage in one of rebbe's emails and just wanted to ask a few questions.

A: Certainly.

1) Does Rebbe feel that is a mitzvah to hate the entity of YU?

A: YU is certainly against the accepted Daas Torah, both here in Eretz Yisroel and in America. The people who run it are going against Daas Torah and therefore are going against Ratzon HaShem.

Or is it a mitzvah to hate the boys who learn in YU?

A: Chas V'Shalom!! Most of them either aren't aware that Daas Torah is otherwise or else are forced into going there by parents. And, some of them rely on Rabbanim who hold otherwise than the accepted Daas Torah. There would not be a heter to hate the boys who learn there.

The rebbes whoteach in YU?

A: Also, Chas V'Shalom. I don't know all of them personally, but I assume that they are teaching there because they want to do their best to influence the talmidim as best as they can. That is a very noble intention.

What about MTA, which is an affiliate of YU?

A: MTA is like any other Modern Orthodox Yeshiva High School. They all aren't interested in Daas Torah, but that is because that is the way they were raised. We ought not to hate them, chas v'Shalom.

Are they all considered to HATE Hashem?

A: Of course not. They simply either don't understand what HaShem wants or don't care enough about what he wants to make changes in their lives.

2) If someone is shomer torah u'mitzvos but he learns in YU, is he b'chlal
amisecha? Are the rebbeim b'chlal amisecha?


A: I don't know what you mean by "amisecha". If you mean "amcha", then of course the shomer mitzovs people are amcha as are the Rebbeim. It is the institution - and some of the people who make the decisions there (the Rebbeim themselves often are not happy with the decisions made there and there is nothing that they can do about that).

3) Is it permitted/encouraged to make fun of specific YU Rebbeim, for
example, R' Hershel Schachter is a fool.

A: You shouldn't have written that even as a question. Of course you aren't allowed to make fun of Talmidei Chachamim!! I think that Rav Schachter himself is critical of many things that take place at YU, but there is little, if anything, that he can do about it.

Or R' Mordechai Willig is a big am haaretz.

A: Again, you shouldn't have even written this as a question. How could anyone be able to say such a crazy thing? Rav Willig also is critical about what happens in YU.

R' Yitchok Cohen is a shaygetz.

A: This is totally absurd. Rav Cohen is a big Tzaddik as everyone knows. And everyone also knows how much he has suffered at the hands of the people who make the decisions in MTA and in YU!! I assume that he remains there because of the very important influence he has on the bachurim there. However, he most certainly doesn't agree to all that goes on there, as I am sure that you know. Rav Parnes, after having taught in the Yeshiva for fifty years, left the Yeshiva because of the way the people who run the place were acting and the decisons that they were making.

4) Is it preferable to refer to the rebbeim there in a derogatory manner,
such as JB soloveitchik?

A: Again, we don't speak that way about Talmidei Chachamim!! Doing so is playing with fire.

I have been a long time reader and talmid of rebbe. I am sorry if this letter appears to be chutzpadik, but I would REALLY appreciate if rebbe could answer my questions, because right now I am severely confused.

A: I hope that I have explained myself. My intent was to speak against the institution, not about the Talmidei Chachmim who teach there or about the boys who are shomer mitzvohs and learn Torah there.

Chag Kasher V'Sameach

A: And the same to you .

...

It's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, yeah yeah
I said it's too late to apologize, a yeah

I'm reading your new spin
Got me ten different kinds of sad...

13 comments:

  1. If this guy truly believes the things that he has written, than, no offense to him, the system has failed him and he is the true am haaretz. How can he speak so negatively about an institution that has been the biggest marbitz torah in America? I can tell you on good authority that R' Yitzchak Cohen, even after a number of chalanges at MTA and YU, has a tremendious amount of hakaras hatov for YU. This guy should not be given a leave of absense but shown the door if OJ wants to remain on the YU approved list. You have a right to disagree, respectfully, on hashkafic issues but to say that the people running YU are K'neged Hashem b/c they don't conform to so called "daas torah" are huge statements that one should tremble before even thinking. How does he know what is K'neged Hashem, maybe the truth is that current so called "daas torah" with their airplane movie mechitzos, are K'neged hashem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is all such lashon hara!! it's appalling! it he's wrong, so be it, if he's not.....- just let hashem be the judge, and let's all worry about ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I've always wondered is as follows: according to these types of people, what makes R' Lamm, R' Lichtenstein, R' Amital, R' Goldvicht, etc. into rabbanim? Who says they're rabbis? They go against Daas Torah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so frustrating to read. It seems that this "rav" doesn't understand that anything other than his narrow view of "das torah" is legitimate.

    He clearly would be appalled by the way that religious Jews lived in the times of the shoftim, doing "dishonorable" things like farming.

    Perhaps his understanding that Jews shouldn't be businessmen comes from not reading the Torah where it talks about honest weights and measures. Anyone who believes a Jewish boy shouldn't have a career has clearly not read the Torah/Tanach.

    I recall a Rav of mine in high school saying something about the baby being thrown out with the bathwater in the extreme focus on Talmud almost to the exclusion of Tanach. Perhaps any institution that doesn't focus strongly on Torah and Nach is going against das Torah...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then again, if a rav could teach in a mixed (boys and girls) religious high school, then he obviously doesn't conform to Daas Torah...

    (I hope my sarcasm is noted, as is my great respect for a certain Rav.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty much why those of us who are Reform or Conservative read these Orthodox blogs, and then shake our heads in sadness. We don't have this level of hate towards fellow Jews in the R/C communities. And we think it's wrong to hate, heter or not. Really, this stuff keeps wannabe BT's so, so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anon-

    With all due respect that's a cop-out.

    If you think any individual is representative of any community at large, for good or the bad, then you are highly misguided.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok- please excuse my language here- I don't generally use such language nor am I particularly happy that I will use this.

    BUT-

    WHAT THE F*** IS GOING ON HERE THAT THE QUESTIONER COULD EVEN USE SUCH LANGUAGE TO TALK ABOUT RABONNIM IN HIS QUESTIONS? WHERE DOES THIS IMMENSE DISRESPECT COME FROM? WHAT KIND OF CHILDREN ARE WE RASISING THAT THEY EVEN DARE TO TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE THIS WAY?

    I am aware that
    -a- if you fell strongly about an issue you tend to use strong language as I did above, and


    -b- that we are human beings and we all do stupid things sometimes. This is not a tirade against the questioner. We're all entitled to be dumb sometimes, or un-grown up. But what THE HELL are we training our kids with they they treat othr people, particularly people that are presumable older and wiser than them, who have devoted their lives to Torah and klal Yisrael, with such DISRESPECTFUL and OFFENSIVE terms???

    I am by no means the model of respect for Rabbonim. I unfortunately must admit that I have been probe to be nearly as disrespectful as said letter writer here on numerous occasions. However- I have charata. I try try try not to voice my opinon vehemently or even at all since I will usually end up absorbing new information which will alter my opinion. Siyug l'Chachma Shetika.


    Does anyone else find that there will be virtualy NO WAY of getting us out of galus until we all learn to RESPECT each other and treat each other with basic humna courtesy? DOES ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS PURE UNADULTERATED ***SINAS CHINAM***???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummmmmmm M-

    I'm pretty sure the quiestioner was being facetious, as in using the original tone of Rav Balanson as a way to question its legitimacy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. :)

    And why would I suspect that it would be you who would be privy to such information???

    ReplyDelete
  12. not privy, just know how to read between the lines

    ReplyDelete