Monday, August 18, 2008

The Parker Bros. Paradox

There is something that has been bothering me for a while now and maybe some people here can help me figure this one out.

When I was a kid, one of the standard shabbos activities was playing board games (monopoly, risk, stratego, trivial pursuit, etc.), as I am sure it was for many of you as well. This was all fine and well, but it was restricted exclusively to shabbos, as other activities, such as video games, were not an option. I can probably count on one hand the amount of board games I have played that were not during shabbos.

So here is where my problem comes in; my experience has been confirmed by virtually everyone else I have asked.

However, we see with our own eyes that the game board industry is an ongoing profitable business operation, but I cannot believe that it is being entirely supported by the shomer-shabbos population (board games as a shidduch date activity notwithstanding); so I ask all of you, how is it that board games still continue to be made? Where does this industry's support come from?

Powered by WebAds