Pages

Sunday, July 01, 2007

8 Things Meme

I was tagged by both Yitzchak and Chana, so I may as well do this one...
  1. I enjoy being undefinable. And being called undefinable doesn't really count.
  2. Yes, there are things that come before blogging to me. They're called "sports".
  3. My pet peeves are generally all found in NY-centric people, which is why I generally hate New York and find NYers to be guilty until proven innocent. Those include (but are not limited to): People who don't understand economics; people who really think that the rest of the world views things the same way they do; people who think that making more money trumps everything else and somehow means you're richer, no matter what the costs are; people who think that if you don't practice the same way as they do you are 'less religious'; people who assume that everyone shares your political views; people who are completely bigoted and don't even realize it; selfishness; lack of patience; people who think that whatever they are doing is more important than anything anyone else is; etc.
  4. That said, I love people who aren't like that, and it's especially impressive if they're from NY, because it's so hard to be here and not get drawn into acting certain ways - and not because people are jerks, but because you feel like you need to to survive.
  5. I enjoy helping other people be happier.
  6. On a loosely related note, I've been called an "inciter", a "manipulator", and the like, for getting people to say or do much by saying or doing extremely little on my own. Often, this includes my getting yelled at or thanked (and often, both) for saying or doing almost nothing, but the person somehow has it in their head that I did quite a bit. (shrugs) Ah well. [smiles] Whatever works. {V'hamayvin Yavin}
  7. I am a night person. [By a raise of hands, how many people just said "DUH!"?]
  8. Brevity is the soul of wit. (Shakespeare) A short saying often contains much wisdom. (Sophocles) I am a firm believer in both.
I think just about everyone has done this, so I tag G to do this in the comments, and any member of the blog who wishes to can post as well. And of course anyone else who wishes to, either in the comments or on their own blog. Oh, and Rea. Just because.

25 comments:

  1. only because you're so bored.

    In no particular order...

    1) i don't think im that deep
    2) i sometimes doubt my brightness
    ;)
    3) i *am* a natural blond
    4) i spend too much time watching tv shows online to cure boredom
    5) i have no interest in politics whatsoever
    6) contrary to what it may seem, there *is* more to my life than shidduchim
    7) i'm starting to learn that ezzie is always right - about EVERYTHING.
    8) i can be a bit ocd & neurotic about organization and cleanliness

    happy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it looks like you manipulated me into writing this comment...Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I sometimes think that ezzie has way too much power.

    2. Cleaning my room is fun.

    3. I spend way too much money on music.

    4. Everything I ever needed to know about cars and electronics, I learned from Shidduch Dates.
    Well, not EVERYTHING, but boys seem surprised when I know what a Ferrari is, that I know what's under the hood of my car, i go to sports games, or that I have a cool phone....

    5. I truly believe that everything that happens is for a reason, and that Hashem guides over it all 100%. I feel that even any "extreme" life experiences that I've been through have been necessary steps in helping me become who I am today (for the positive).

    6. I correct people's grammar mistakes in my head - sometimes out loud.

    7. I think that Yeshiva guys have more fun. That's why my alter ego is a Yeshiva Bochur.

    8. I'm automatically drawn towards anything denim. It's kinda scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a new yorker and I don't understand economics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your problem with New Yorkers basically that they think like Democrats?

    ReplyDelete
  7. RAM - I'd go with liberals more than Democrats. (Heck, I'm a registered Democrat! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ezzie said, "RAM - I'd go with liberals more than Democrats. (Heck, I'm a registered Democrat!"

    Once there might have been a Democratic Party worthy of your registration. Are you sure there is one now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure. NY has closed (D) primaries, open (R) ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well, as a personal favor:

    --I permanently reside in the United States of G. I'm the President, I'm the Emporor, I'm the King, I'm LeBron James...you all just a bunch of Larry Hughes'.

    --I know it was you, you broke my heart.

    --I have more responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

    --Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

    --I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore.

    --I often choose humor or sarcasm as a way to avoid taking things like this seriously in public.

    --I am not very good at math.

    (and I'll be impressed if you know all the mekoros)

    ReplyDelete
  11. >My pet peeves are generally all found in NY-centric people, which is why I generally hate New York and find NYers to be guilty until proven innocent

    AMEN brother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. G,

    I know the mekoros!

    (Must watch too many movies. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you on the New York thing! And I'm from New York! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Must watch too many movies. :-) )

    You have noooooooo idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. At the risk of setting off more silliness, let me point out that you guys have no halachic support for making a default negative characterization of Jews from one city. The Chofetz Chaim methodically knocked down people's justifications for saying lashon hara (that is, true but disparaging facts) except in some very specific cases.

    It's the Three Weeks! Give it up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll even try to follow my own advice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear RAM,

    Silliness??!! Where??!!

    I was not aware that one required halachic support to develop an opinion, then again that does seem to be the direction the prevailing religious winds seem to be blowing.

    As far as justifications for lashan hara go, (speeking for myself here) who implied that one was being employed or was even part of the equation to begin with. It may be l"h or it may not be, gotta tell you that it will have little bearing on me when it comes to something like this be it during the three weeks or any other time of year. Seriously, they're NY jokes...relax.
    As a side point, on a personal level I have found that when people use the "it's the three weeks" or "it's Elul" thing it usually tends to have a negative impact as it comes off as overly pious and self-righteous, those reasons are better used as internal motivators...except in some very specific cases.

    Have a nice day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "a default negative characterization of Jews from one city."

    No, no, no, it's not just the jews from NY...IT's EVERYONE.!!

    WooooooHoooooooo!! (i don't know, it felt like a silliness type of sound)

    ReplyDelete
  19. RAM - I was very careful to note that it is characteristics that I dislike, and that those characteristics are often found in NY people. I've written about this in the past, and if you read it carefully you'll see that I don't fault them per se, but rather for succumbing to their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. G- its serach, i know the makur for the "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"- Ret Butler, gone with the wind, and i have never read it or seen the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's "Rhett", you yankee you!

    ReplyDelete