Pages

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Post of the Year?

This post might be: Templars. Excerpt:
I don't know how many of you they hurt.

But they hurt me.

They hurt me so much.

And they didn't mean to hurt me, and that is what hurts the most. They meant to help me. They meant to fix me, as though I needed fixing. They aimed to turn me into another of their cookie-cutter girls, another one who fit the mold, another girl who offered up her brain and mind and hopes and dreams to the altar of God, their God, not a God who truly exists. They aimed to create in me a kind of domestic bliss so that I would be happy with my lot, so that all would be well, for my highest goal is to involve myself with something Judaic, whether it be supporting my husband in kollel or teaching as a Chumash teacher or in some way aiding in the common good. That is my task and that is my purpose, and any deviation from that is problematic.
There's a reason this post has 92 comments already. [Ignore the jerky ones near the beginning. They get good after a bit.]

3 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention that the post is all thanks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great post. It took me a few hours to read (in between working) but it was time well spent. I linked to it on my blog:
    honestlyfrum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why exactly are the comments at the beginning jerky?

    ReplyDelete