Pages

Monday, November 27, 2006

Snoopy & Math

(Hat tip: Mommy)

I want this.

This was not only the best toy I ever owned as a kid, it played an incredible role in making school a complete joke for me for about 15 years. (That's a good thing.) I learned more from this little toy than from some of my teachers... and my teachers weren't bad.

It is interesting how much of what we learn, skill-wise, is based on the little things we do in life - playing with a calculator toy, from sports, from dolls, whatever. Often, we don't realize it. On occasion, we think, "Where do I know that from?" and then laugh, realizing it's from something like a board game, an old joke, or some weird story. Learning in school is important. Learning from life is far more so.

3 comments:

  1. Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education. -Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
  2. And where do you keep your Speak and Spell?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_&_Spell_(game)

    (or are you too young to remember that one?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had one of these and agree with all that you say, which is why I am now trying to find an old working one for my kids for Christmas (eldest 8)

    ReplyDelete