Monday, November 20, 2006

Modesty Tailors

UPDATED (twice)
The heavyweights of the haredi Lithuanian yeshiva world gathered Saturday night in Jerusalem to warn an audience of thousands of male, married yeshiva students that haredi women's dresses are too short, their wigs are too long, and their sweaters, shirts and blouses are too tight.
I saw this first at Town Crier, and my first thought was, "Well, it looks like they're finally going to discuss what is and isn't true modesty - good for them! No more 'Hot Chanies'..." I skimmed the article, laughed at some of it ("modesty tailors"? "The Guardians of Holiness and Education"?! Are you kidding?), and didn't pay much attention to it.

But after reading Shoshana and David's excellent posts [read them!], I realize I didn't read it closely enough. Not only were singles restricted from this gathering, but so were all women. That's like having a meeting about a school without the teachers, or a hospital without the doctors. (Or having a politician call for a draft that the Army doesn't think it needs. Ugh.) Then there were the really strange lines:
"Each and every father and husband has an obligation to vigilantly ensure that his wife's and daughters' dress is in accordance with the laws of modesty."
I could go on about this, but it will never compare to Shoshana's great rant on it. Suffice it to say that the last thing I want to be doing every day is "vigilantly ensuring" that Serach's dress is in accordance with the laws of modesty. I mean, seriously: I might as well kill myself now. More importantly, I think that Serach does a fine job dressing herself. I'm with Trep also on the 'activists' who volunteered to check out stores and advise them on what is and isn't modest:
Yeah, I'll bet. I can already see the men lining up for the arduous task of standing outside the dressing rooms to give the thumbs-up or thumbs-down to the outfits as they emerge. Way to take one for the team, guys!
Heh. As I commented by Shoshana: Ahh, Judaism. Whatever happened to you?!
UPDATE: Heh. Looks like other have made the "Hot Chanie" connection as well...

Others on this subject: Orthomom, Ask Shifra (the creator of the term "Hot Chanie"), and Jewish Blogmeister.

And now, Ayelet, with a different and interesting perspective.

Powered by WebAds