Pages

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Well Waddaya Know VI

Last week's Q&A:
How long does information last in the short-term memory?
The answers were pretty well-spread again, and I'm really curious as to why people picked the answers they did; I guessed 9 seconds, assuming that unless I'm doing immediate spitback, it's not short-term memory; my reasoning wasn't bad, but my answer was wrong:
9 seconds
13 (27%)
20 seconds
21 (44%)
140 seconds
6 (12%)
5-6 minutes
7 (14%)
And the reason from Shragi:
Up to 20 seconds. By then it has either been stored in the long-term memory or been lost.
This week's question is at the top left; feel free to discuss in the comments here as always.

2 comments:

  1. My answer was based on knowledge picked up in Psych classes - one unit in Year 12 (and I think first year university) was about memory. So that little fact about short term memory was stored there in my long term memory.

    ReplyDelete