Pages

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Marty Madness

It's a very busy day, and I have a pair posts in draft that I'm working on, but in the meantime, please enjoy this great video that former WITSer Reuben Paris put together. The video is from this past Motzei Shabbos, centering around former NBA player Marty Conlon, a player on the Milwaukee Bucks whom a number of WITS guys built a fan base for called Marty Madness (I think) back in the day.

He was and is a really nice guy, a mensch - he conducts youth basketball clinics and is involved with Big Brothers/Big Sisters and the Special Olympics, according to the NBA profile of him - and everyone had a lot of fun at the 2nd annual WITS Alumni 2-on-2 tournament, with Marty joining in on the fun. I was forced to miss the tournament (as was my brother OD - I was hoping to play basketball with him for the first time in my life [!], as we're 8.5 years apart), much to my chagrin, but my friend Sal stopped by afterwards to give me a positive report.

He averaged 10 points on 53% shooting and 5 rebounds in 25 minutes a game while appearing in every game for the Bucks in 1994-1995, when the WITS guys formed the Marty Madness group. His teammate for the tournament was Arizona's Reuven Becker, and their opponents in the final were the very tall and talented Winter brothers from St. Louis. Want to know who won? You'll just have to watch. :)

Finally, a shout out to my good friends from the class of 2001, the always funny Shalom & stoic Sal, on their graciousness in defeat. At least you lasted a couple of minutes longer than I did last year...!

2 comments: