Pages

Friday, September 15, 2006

Welcome to the Five Towns

(Hat tip: Someone from the Five Towns, who got it from their rabbi.)

Anyways... watch this short cartoon, then write what you think about it in the comments.

My thoughts: I'm going to assume the rav sent it as a reflection of the [wrong-headed] attitudes some people have. My first reaction was "it's not funny, it's sad" - but really, it is funny, because it is so sad. Ugh.

FWIW, I don't have much of a problem with individuals hiring people on their own for a fair price to do work. I *do* have a problem with corporations doing so, and more importantly, I think it is disgusting how some people take advantage of illegal immigrants. Where's your common decency!?

4 comments:

  1. What I get tired of is people complaining about their incompetent under-the-table help.

    Let's just say, you hired them. So, fire them or stop complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto...sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should say I'm offended as a resident of the 5 Towns who employs no household help. I have no gardener, maid, or babysitter. However, to be truthful, I am atypical in this respect. But not all the help is Hispanic. There are also African-Americans and Hungarians, as you could observe when the babysitters take the children out to the park and meet together in their respective cliques. (oh, on Shabbos and Yom Tov, too.)

    ReplyDelete