Pages

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pictures: Past & Present

These days, cameras are everywhere. Everyone is able to take photographs whenever and of whatever they like. We take it for granted that we can snap pictures with our digital camera or phone or computer, choose the ones we like and then within minutes we are able to print, publish or send out our photographs easily and cheaply. Even with traditional film you can have your prints back within an hour or polaroids within minutes. We are able to document everything we do with digital cameras and video recorders.

What happened to the time when photographs were something for special occasions? Holidays? Portraits? When a few small black and white prints were treasured because that was the only pictorial documentation of an event you could have.

My great-grandparents photo album is a perfect example of how special and treasured photographs were. This album is beautifully bound in red cloth, filled with thick archival paper and the photographs were mounted neatly with the little photo corners. The first few pages date back to Poland before World War 2 (1930's or earlier) and most are posed, a family photo or just one of the children, nothing spontaneous. Even holiday photos at the beach, as carefree as they are, has had some thought in setting up the composition and poses. These photographs gave me an insight into what life was like for my great-grandparents back then and it's quite amazing looking at these relatives and see resemblances to family today. Even more importantly, this album was transported with the family as they escaped Poland and made it to Australia to be continued with new memories.

(I do not know names of the people in the pictures yet but my grandfather remembers all of them and will help record that.)

I have always imagined those times in black and white, without colour because the images I've seen are black and white even though I know that it wasn't really like that. Despite this, seeing such a collection of family photographs has injected some colour into my thoughts of the days when my grandfather was a child because these images are so alive with memories. I've learnt so much from these pictures and hope to find out more about all these relatives.

Due to the age of the album, the adhesive corners have come off so the photographs have fallen out and are a bit jumbled. As well as the pre-war photos and more recent ones of the grandchildren (like my mother) are several formal, posed photographs of various family members, one in particular I would guess to be nearly 100 years old. The image is of a woman and three girls, one of which may be my great-grandmother, all dressed formally. There are two copies: a black and white copy in a plastic sleeve and a torn, sticky-taped sepia copy with the name of the photography studio printed on the back. The wear and tear indicates that this was probably a very meaningful photograph.

Also found in my great-grandparents album is a small Rosh Hashana (New Year) greeting card, about three inches by one inch photographically printed design, greeting in Hebrew and Polish and a small picture of the family. Personalised cards were being made even back then! (We could even make more of that one, the film negative is there too!)

The contrast of this collection of treasured photographs and memories to how we treat photographs these days is amazing. Over what is really just a few decades, the way we treat pictures has changed so much. From something that is used to document special occasions in a few black and white prints to today, where full colour videos and photographs are sent and displayed with hardly any thought.

A picture will always tell a thousand words, it's just that the older, more treasured ones are more meaningful because there are less of them.

(See how easy it was for me to take a picture of the album with the camera that's built in to my computer and then post it on blogger!)


~ Sarah

7 comments:

  1. I have a similar album, with some pictures that seem like cardboard they are so thick. I love looking at the older photos especially - there is something beautiful and haunting about them that the newer ones can't capture. Maybe part of it is the black and white - less busy than the color ones. I just recently sat down with my grandfather to try and identify as many people in the photos as I could. Now when I do genealogical research, it makes it more personal because I know who is who! As much as I love your pictures, it is great to see you are a good writer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you are able to trace the history of your family through their photos. What's cool is to imagine what your great-grandchildren will be thinking when they look at your pictures from now - they'll probably have animated photos or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true. I have some albums that I took from my parents' house and I've found photos of my Grandparents in Lithuania at the turn of the last century.

    It looks so alien. Even though I see family resemblences, the clothing, the hair styles, but more importantly the style of the photo is so different to what I'm used to seeing.

    Also, B&W photos age more gracefully than color. Color fades and dulls. I look at photos from my childhood in the '70s, and I remember the events and don't recall them being so bland looking. B&W's, on the other hand, develop that classy sepia tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. We visited my grandmother the last time we were in Cleveland, and she had just moved into an old home there. She had boxes of pictures that had come with, so we opened one up and started flipping through them. Suddenly, we found a couple beautiful black and whites of my grandparents from just after they got married, dressed somewhat formally, arm in arm, with my grandmother clearly cracking up at something my grandfather had just said.

    We also found those same type of posed beach pictures with my grandmother, aunts, and their friends. It was a whole new perspective - carefree teens/20-somethings having fun at the beach all day. To some extent, that's another thing we lack today - many uninterrupted hours of fun and relaxation. Great post, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post I could not agree with you more. I decided to have the last photo in my wedding album in blach and white I think it adds some character to an important date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mc: thanks! and true, it will be nice to put faces to names in the family tree.

    shoshana: my photos are in quite a bit of disarray! but what would be even more special than my photos is for future generations to be able to see these old black and white images of their great-great-great-grandparents.

    pt: it was definitely a very different way of life back then and even once they left Europe, my great-grandparents continued that here. Their house was always neat and tidy for one!
    And you are right, black and white does age more gracefully. Gives the images a sort of film-like quality.

    ezzie: "another thing we lack today - many uninterrupted hours of fun and relaxation" --> yep! One reason why is because technology means we can be contacted all the time, and internet doesn't shut up shop each night so there is always 24 hour, round the world activity & business going on (like blogging). There is constant stimulation from things like radio, tv, computers, outside noise and you get used to living like that.

    jewish blogmeister: that's a nice idea to have black and white photographs, they add a wonderful touch of charm and elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister is a professional photographer and specializes in black and white.

    ReplyDelete