Pages

Friday, September 15, 2006

Cubicle Culture: Why Multi-Tasking is Bad

(Hat tip: Dad! I think that's his first ever.)

Orthomom, you listening? (Kidding. I had to pick someone, and for some reason, OM came to mind first. She strikes me as the multi-tasking type.)

This article is probably a fitting one, as this is the last normal working day in which I am still a free man... it's interesting to see what is or is not a good way of working, though I'll likely stick with what works for me to some extent. Anyways... here's an excerpt:

Multitasking, a term cribbed from computers, is an information age creed that, while almost universally sworn by, is more rooted in blind faith than fact. It's the wellspring of office gaffes, as well as the stock answer to how we do more with less when in fact we're usually doing less with more. What now passes for multitasking was once called not paying attention.

Employers continue to seek out jugglers despite decades of research showing that humans aren't great multitaskers. (And in the case of distracted driving, we're downright dangerous.)

"Multitasking doesn't look to be one of the great strengths of human cognition," says James C. Johnston, a research psychologist at NASA's Ames Research Center. "It's almost inevitable that each individual task will be slower and of lower quality."

I still remember a Hagar the Horrible cartoon from when I was a child: Lucky Eddie walks in and tells Hagar that he heard that people can't do two things at once and do them both well. Hagar laughs and says "Ha! I'm sitting, and I'm eating!" A second later, his chair breaks and he falls to the floor. For some reason, this always stuck with me, and I have always felt it to be true: I've never seen someone do two things at once at their optimal level.

People often think I'm a multi-tasker myself, but I have realized that it's not really true. I do tend to do a lot of things in a short amount of time, but I'm not usually doing them all at once. More often, I'm doing one after the other in rapid succession after setting them up the way I like. In accounting, this is often exactly how things need to be done, so that should work well.

I start work this Monday at a large accounting firm in midtown Manhattan, beginning with two weeks of orientation. We don't have cubicles - we have "pods". The hope is to actually get one, and not be stuck working in abandoned conference rooms or the like. Orientation is not at the office, but for one week at a locale in the city, and the second week at a hotel in a different area. The second week is the national week of orientation, and unfortunately is being held in the NY area and not somewhere like, oh, say Orlando, where it was last year. Ah well.

Ah, the working world... I'm actually looking forward to this. And not just because of the pay. :)

6 comments:

  1. Remember: there's a reason they call it 'work' and not 'fun'- but try to have some anyway!!!
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We called "pods" "hoteling" and it was pretty miserable. G-d willing you will have your own place someday. I absolutely hated being kicked out of my first come, first serve place because some more aggressive character thought it belonged to him or her.

    But, pods are efficient for offices where half the people are out. So, I guess it is something to get used to.

    After I left the hotel job, though, I got my own cube and let's just say it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely consider myself a multi-tasker, but I probably don't do everything well when I am trying to do more than one thing at a time. However, unless what I am doing is really interesting, I usually get bored just doing one thing at a time.

    Good luck with your job! (And I hope you got all your other "stuff" done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Studies indicate that men are less inclined to multi-task. They concentrate only on one thing at a time. Women, on the other hand, who often (note the qualifier) have to manage households must master multi-tasking if they will succeed at remembering to pick up the dry cleaning on the way back from the grocery store to be home in time for the carpool drop off and to begin supper preparations while listening to the child's question about homework, etc. And if they also handle a career outside the home, there is more to multi-task.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - Thanks!

    Kasamba - I will. :) (So far, so good.)

    SL - We don't share pods, actually - we get our own, which is nice. So it shouldn't be too bad.

    Shoshana - I hear that. What I do then is stop what I'm doing and switch. :)

    Ariella - Definitely true. Serach is a far better multi-tasker than I am, for example.

    ReplyDelete