Pages

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Yes, I am just so responsible

Soooooo an entire semester passed by, and a new one started, and all of a sudden people are asking me what my summer plans are. First I was like "Dude! It's February. Summer's a few months off" and now I'm like "DUDE!! IT'S FEBRUARY AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AND EVERYTHING HAS DEADLINES!!! WHAT AM I GONNA DOOOOOO???"

So I am hereby asking the loyal readers of SerandEz for some summer internship/job ideas in either publishing, journalism, government or law (really, at this point, I'll take anything . . . oh G-d). Bear in mind that I have no idea as of yet what sort of career path I want to take, so I'm really open to any job suggestions that will be located near a Jewish community so I can have a normal living situation - anything along the eastern seaboard is an option. (If I'm allowed to be picky it would be nice if the job exercised my brain and didn't involve just sitting and staring mindlessly at a computer. It would also be nice if the job/internship had some sort of stipend.) My email's on my profile.

Thank you all!

3 comments:

  1. Erm, just to add to this, I'm also on the search for an internship/summer job in either a publishing house, a literary agency, or just something with publishing and books in general. If anyone has any contacts, it would be MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, no real suggestions. You could check out the OU job board. Also your school is supposed to offer assistance in this area, so bug the office and some professors who may have connections. I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erachet and Apple,
    Jobs in publishing are fairly tight right now. If you are English majors that helps, and having taken any journalism courses is helpful too. (Have you worked on a school newspaper? Also a plus.) You need strong grammar and usage skills--editing tests are part of the interview process for most publishing houses. Don't expect "creative" for a summer job or internship in this field--most interns are doing line editing or fact checking.

    If you fit this picture, please send a resume to me at Conversationsinklal@hotmail.com. No promises but I'll pass the info along to my contacts.

    Apple,
    Contact your local congressional representatives. They frequently have governmental jobs available for summer people.

    ReplyDelete