Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Segula

Segula
by Sara Ireland
"Drink this wine," they said, "to find your destined mate,"
Like some magic love elixir, some romance potion.
So I grasped that bridal cup and brought my lips close,
And wouldn't you know it? I spilled it all over me.

"Take this broken shard," they said, "to meet your true beloved,"
Like some miracle pottery, some wondrous earthenware.
So I reached for that wedding plate, that little shattered piece,
And wouldn't you know it? I cut my finger on its sharp edge.

"Hold this lighted candle," they said, "as tall as you want your husband,"
Like some enchanted torch, some supernatural flame.
So I held that Sabbath candle and raised it above my head,
And wouldn't you know it? I lit the house on fire.

"Eat this bread," they said, "to catch your other half,"
Like some Divine manna, some holy sustenance.
So I bit into that wedding loaf, that warm, doughy morsel,
And wouldn't you know it? I began to cough and choke.

"Recite this prayer," they said, "to uncover your betrothed,"
Like some sanctified liturgy, some sacred hymn.
So I said those ancient words, and I began to cry,
And wouldn't you know it? He handed me a tissue.
Akiva & Sara Cooperman

7 comments:

  1. A thank you to whomever's picture I stole off of Facebook. :)

    As a cute addendum, which perhaps you need to know one of them to understand, he actually had a small packet of tissues which he gave her by the badeken, knowing she'd need it.

    Mazel Tov Coops & Sara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I like that! It's written really well. Did she really experience all that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezzie, it's a good thing I didn't copyright that poem or else i'd be sueing the pants off of you! thanks for posting it, though. nice to see my name in print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at that wedding. Sara is one of my best friends.

    ReplyDelete