Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"What's The Deal...

...with orthodox jews and walking in the street?"

Such was the question posed to me by a (non-jewish) co-worker yesterday on behalf of her fiancé.

The young man lives near a frum community and when out and about on the weekends consistently observes the jewish members of the community eschewing the sidewalk to instead walk in the street.
I know this co-worker fairly well and have a pretty good picture of what kind of guy she is engaged to, so this was not asked in an accusatory fashion. Just the opposite, he was curious to know if there was a "reason" for this "practice".

So what say you the reading public? What's behind this love affair with the blacktop?
(I have my own theory which I will put in the comments later...don't want to influence anybody's thinking:)

Powered by WebAds