Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Odyssey & Alternate Side Parking

This should be a fun set of trips: From Kew Gardens Hills to Teaneck tonight; Serach continues on with Elianna and our friends JB & B (the B of the How I Met Serach series) to Cleveland early tomorrow morning, while I head into Manhattan to work. Then I get to fly to Cleveland Monday morning and join my parents and grandparents for first days, where it will start snowing sometime between second seder and Thursday - that's right, I said SNOWING.

Thursday morning I'm supposed to fly back to New York, while SerandEl, B, and JB head to Baltimore. SerandEl will spend Shabbos with some family there, while I will be stuck in NYC but was graciously invited by our friends FFD & FFW to join them for meals. Sunday, after working a few more hours, I'll drive down to Baltimore for the last days which - since it's a Sunday - will hopefully be a lot less eventful than Sukkos was. If you're in Shomrei, feel free to say hi.

And to top it all off, when Ohio State beats Florida on Monday night, I'll know that had UNC defeated Georgetown, I would have won both the pool I run and the one my brother-in-law runs. Instead I'll be coming in third in both... and my father (!!) who can't tell you a single player's name in the tournament [not even Greg Oden!] will win the latter.

Working 12-hour days on Pesach really bites, by the way... but not as much as alternate-side parking in KGH. As of Friday, I picked up what I believe is my 5th or 6th such ticket since I got married (less than three years), and I don't own a car. This one I knew I would get the night before - there simply were no spots on the 'good' side of the street, and there's no way I would get one of the ones that would open up the next morning (which are almost zero anyway). For what? For "street cleaners" - monstrosities that go down the middle of the street, kicking the dust to the sides of the street, accomplishing absolutely nothing but causing plenty of pollution and padding the city's coffers with fines.

Well, at least I get the Yom Tov days off. Chag Sameach, everybody!

9 comments:

  1. you could have come and parked near my apt...we always have spots late at night. sorry about your ticket. chag sameach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would vote for ANY mayoral candidate who does away with alternate side of the street parking. i sometimes spend 40 minutes looking for a spot--and then i still have to hike 10 min to my apt.

    on this see http://agmk.blogspot.com/2007/02/al-sharpn-for-mayor.html
    hag kasher ve-same'ah!

    ari kinsberg
    agmk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SaraK - That's a bit of a walk, ya know... :P

    Anon - LOL, and ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel bad for you missing the National Championship game, but we already know the outcome. It's missing opening day that makes it hard to feel redeemed at this time of year!

    Chag Kasher V'Sameach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alternate side parking makes parking easier in some ways because people can't just leave their cars in the same place all week.

    But I hate it as much as you do. Where we live, we have it twice a week on each side, so there's a lot of moving to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah yes, alternate side parking...one of the not so great things about KGH...i once got a ticket for alternate side parking by pathmark when there were no spots in the lot...i didn't realize that there was alternate side parking there cuz it wasnt the usual ASP day of the week...anyhoo, i think we've gotten about 4 tickets in the nearly 2 years we've been married:
    1 for the incident above
    1 for no standing when there was no sign and we took a picture and sent it in but we still had to pay
    1 for when we parked overnite by a meter and overslept and got a ticket when they turned on the meters
    1 for running a red in brooklyn and being caught by the red light camera...that doesnt count cuz it wasnt in queens tho
    there was also the near miss when one of us sleepily parked the car on the wrong side on a friday morning and the other one caught it just in time :)
    anyhow, you shoulda parked by us! our ASP is later in the day so there are usually spots...you coulda driven here and taken the bus from kissena oh well...happy passover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel bad enough about missing the championship game, I can only imagine how you feel as an OSU fan. Anyhow, see you in B-more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um Ezzie---Are you really gonna be in Baltimore for the 2nd days cause guess what, I'm coming to Silver Spring! Maybe we can get together?! Either way Chag Sameach and ttyl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Want to meet another fan of your blog? The twins and I were hanging outside shul (Shomrei Shabbos) waiting for my husband to get out of minyan yesterday and your father walked by---- we recognized each other but couldn't quite place each other-- we reintroduced ourselves, and he told me that you were in town. In fact I guess he yelled down the street to you but you didn't hear him--- you prob walked right by us and we didn't know it. So I'm logging onto your blog tonight to say call us during Chol HaMoed and maybe we can get together, but I'm reading now that you're leaving Cleveland and spending the last days in ... Baltimore? Oh come on--- stay in Cleveland so we can finally meet you! Oh well. If you have a chance before your flight leaves tomorrow, we'd love to meet you 3, especially Elianna the cutie pie. So email me for our number at hprice@marykay.com if your flight doesn't leave too early! We were even having lunch on Shannon today but I had forgotten the addy your father told me. I remember it was Shannon but don't know which block. Hope you had great sedarim!

    ReplyDelete