Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ezzie's Blog Roundup, 5/18: Coca-Cola Chicken

:::whew::: Finally calming down from the Cavs' incredible win over the Pistons, and as I promised Batya I'd submit a post for the 6th edition of the Kosher Cooking Carnival [links to all past editions are in the sidebar and on JBlogosphere], I'm going to do so as my lead-in to tonight's roundup.

As I've mentioned in the past, our family is fond of easy, quick recipes that everyone will love. Coca-Cola chicken fits those standards perfectly.
Coca-Cola Chicken
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup Coca-Cola
  • 3 tbsp onion-soup mix
  • 1 chicken, cut into 1/8ths
Place chicken in pan. Place pan in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Mix ketchup, Coca-Cola, and onion-soup mix in a bowl. Take pan out, uncover, drain juices. Pour Coke mixture over chicken. Place back in oven, leaving the cover off, for 30-45 minutes. Take out of oven. Serve. Eat.

Yum. (That's really the whole thing.)

And now, on to the roundup:

Yitzchak has another Linkim.

*Post of the Day*
Oose tells the story of how a small good deed saved his life - from a suicide bombing.
Abuse:
Krum makes some interesting points about Loshon Hara.

Chana, Shira, & Xvi tackle what we need to learn from this abuse story. RenReb is struggling to post about it.

UPDATE: Another Chana has a blunt take on everything. Very good.
And the rest:
JoeSettler notes how surprisingly successful Bibi Netanyahu actually was - fascinating, really. I didn't know this, and you didn't either...

Tel-Chai Nation covers the story at Buffalo's airport where an Arab teen claimed he had a bomb in his bag. Check my question in the comments - what do you think?

E-Kvetcher tells the story of his family's escaping the USSR.
Check it out!

22 comments:

  1. ooh that is a good recipe!

    coca cola works well with roasts as well, surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does! But I haven't posted our famous roast recipe yet... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! sounds yummy!
    I have some veal in wine cooking in the oven right now!

    Any other food links?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude- you're totally stealing my heat!

    Heh heh, just kidding. Everyone loves a quick and good recipe.

    P.S. I've made brisket with coke, now I'll have to try it on chicken. Till now I've made chicken with beer (no ketchup)--also yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better than natural 7-up chicken.....http://nfonss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we don't all have magic ovens as you apparently do, at what temperature should they be set?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to make this a lot - it was one of my kids' favorites. I'll have use it again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i believe that coca-cola actually has a pamphlet of recipes you can make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muse - whatever I sent you...

    I'm Ha'aretz - Hope you don't mind, but I forwarded your recipe last night to Batya!

    DAG - Coke is God's elixir. Of course it's better.

    Robbie - Whoops! I had it, then retyped it: 350.

    Elie - It always goes over well.

    Grumpy - That's cool, I didn't know that. Thanks!

    EK - ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im more of a diet dr pepper guy myself....

    http://nfonss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuck. (You don't need to put your URL on every comment, btw...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. EK - ;)
    Ah... There's more than one EK now! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. E-K - No, you get a dash. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...so now you can take your leftover chicken and clean the rust off your car with it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/drpepper/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ezzie, I just bought the ingredients, and will prepare this dish for Shabbos.
    Any side dish you recommend with it?
    Thanks, and a good Shabbos to you and your family. (isn't it nice to hear that now, rather than just "you and your wife"?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it is. :)

    It really goes with just about everything, which is one reason we like it. Suggestions anyway: Peel and cut up regular and sweet potatoes into small chunks, put oil along with planty of spices in a ziploc bag, put in the potatoes, shake it all around, put it on a (sprayed) pan and bake at 400 in the oven for a couple hours until they're almost crunchy.

    You can do it pretty much however you want - more/less oil, more/less spices, crunchy/soft. Serach puts the oil on the pan and mixes it with her hands - that works too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another good one: Cranberry crunch. If you don't have a recipe, email me for one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's only one problem; I have to call the pizza take-out, in order to get a coke (hehe)...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Coca Cola. I wish they would make Coca Cola seltzer--no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. I would guzzle the stuff by the gallon.

    ReplyDelete