Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jewish Economics Survey Presentation #2

In another exciting turn for the Jewish Economics Survey (take it here), I will iy"H be speaking Shabbos, August 8th at the Young Israel of Kew Gardens Hills as part of their summer series of speakers.

While I haven't officially decided on a topic, it will almost assuredly be at least partially focused on the survey and "Orthonomics" (the subject, not the [great] blog) in general. It will obviously be a little different without a Powerpoint presentation to show some of the numbers and other fun stuff on, but I'm really looking forward to the opportunity, and I hope that all those of you who will be in Kew Gardens Hills that Shabbos will feel welcome to attend!

11 comments:

  1. Nice venue! If I am around, will definitely come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you become famous, don't forget us little folks. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something to look forward to this summer! Also much move convenient driving and parking-wise than Washington Heights.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SaraK - Yay! :)

    Erachet - Go write a book. :)

    Ariella - On a Shabbos? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are allowed to speak about this stuff on shabbos?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not?

    R' Schonfeld organizes panels each year on similar subjects - last year on Shavuos was an excellent one on tuition, and there was someone there from Chofetz Chaim, someone from YCQ IIRC, and someone from I believe the Agudah, in addition to a very knowledgeable person from the community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta go w/ Anon on this one-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard people talk about economics on Shabbos before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Economics on Shabbos sounds a bit off to me too but I'm no rabbi. I don't think I'd be comfortable listening to such a lecture though, especially if it contains practical financial advice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll ask what should or shouldn't be discussed to make sure, but I'm guessing that just about anything I would would be okay based on what they've had in the past. It's an economic discussion, not a business one; and I pretty much avoid specific advice, anyway.

    Offhand, I don't see how it would be different than the economic discussion they had regarding tuition last year or similar panels that occur at TuM and Agudah conventions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were just discussing certain economic principals in Pirkei Avot on Shabbat.

    ReplyDelete