Ezzie: It's been a couple of years, but our good friend Da Kirsch is back with his mock of the 2010 NFL Draft. He's had pretty good success in past years (better than most "experts", but he spends waaay more time on it than they do ;) ), and he's back for another go-round as our local SerandEz draft expert.
I'mmmmm back!!!! It's my favorite time of the year and it has been a while since my last mock. This year's draft has some strong positions (OT, S, DT), some weak positions (QB, TE), and some deep positions (WR, RB, LB). There are sure to be some surprises and this year's new schedule means I don't have to leave the TV on over Shabbat (the first round is being broadcast in prime time Thursday night), so that's a plus right there [Ez: Especially since you've made aliyah!]. Odds are 70% percent of theses picks are wrong so I provided some analysis and alternate picks as well.
1. St Louis QB Sam Bradford Oklahoma- When I first was putting my mock together months ago i thought there was no way anyone was gonna pass on Suh, but as draft day got closer more and more reports came out on Bradford's health. In a weak QB i still disagree with taking Bradford but they need a QB more than a DT so they go with Bradford.
2. Detroit DT Ndamukong Suh Nebraska - The obvious pick here the easiest pick the Lions have ever made.
3. Tampa Bay DT Gerald McCoy Oklahoma - The Bucs would be happy with either McCoy or Suh and some people say they prefer McCoy over Suh even if he was available.
4. Washington OT Russell Okung Oklahoma State - Earlier on this was Jimmy Clausen, but now that they have McNabb they need to find a way to protect him. They can draft a QB in a later round to develop behind McNabb( a'la Kevin Kolb).
5. Kansas City OT Bryan Bulaga Iowa - What made KC an offensive force during the mid-2000s? A dominating offensive line that paved the way for Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson have career years and protected Trent Green.
6. Seattle OT Trent Williams Oklahoma - They have a lot of needs on offense OL,RB,WR and even QB so they can go many ways here. I think the WR issue will be fixed with more consistency at the QB position and one way to do that is by protecting Matt Hasselbeck from injury. C.J. Spiller wowed at the combine and in his workouts, but it might be too early to take him here. Clausen is also a possibility, but more of a long shot( it would be a perfect fit for him but they still have a few years on Hasselbeck and can focus in later rounds or next years draft.)
7. Cleveland [Ez: Here we go Brownies, here we go! WOOF WOOF!!] S Eric Berry Tennessee - The Browns have a good secondary and can instantly make it a great one with this pick. Berry is the top athlete on most teams boards and is an Ed Reed type of game changer.
8. Oakland DE Jason Pierre-Paul South Florida- No body knows where the Raiders are gonna go with this pick or any pick for that matter, what we do know is that Al Davis like freakish athletes. They have taken offensive players the last few years and really need to get value from this pick, i think they might be scared to take a chance on an offensive player. They have needs all over the field and the smart pick would be OL and everyone says Bruce Campbell, but that would be stupid he is raw and unpolished they need someone who can start right away.
9. Buffalo QB Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame- Buffalo hasn't had stability at the QB position since Jim Kelly if they don't throw Clausen to the wolves he should develop in to a top line starter. Can also go for OL Anthony Davis.
10. Jacksonville DE Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech- They need help on defense and could also select hybrid S/CB Earl Thomas should also look to trade down and get some more draft picks.
11. Denver ILB Rolando McClain Alabama - Josh McDaniels clearly doesn't focus much on his offense (trading QB Jay Cutler and WR Brandon Marshall) so he will look to improve his defense with the top linebacker in the draft and a top 5 talent with McClain. They might also take WR Dez Bryant but with his past discipline issues I don't see that happening they just got rid of a receiver who had off-field issues do you think they will add another?
12. Miami CB Joe Haden Florida- The top CB in the draft is a need due to circumstances and high level of receivers in the AFC East (Randy Moss, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Etc.), could also go with DT Dan Williams.
13. San Francisco OL Anthony Davis Rutgers- They are very close to turning the page and become a winning team. Head coach Mike Singletary is determined to give Alex Smith every chance to prove he can keep the QB job, so he helps him by stabilizing the O-line with this pick.
14. Seattle RB CJ Spiller Clemson- Like I said earlier it was too early for Seattle to take Spiller with the 6th pick, not with the 14th though. It will be exciting to see how new Head Coach Pete Carrol uses a Reggie Bush type player after seeing how well he did with Reggie back at USC.
15. NY Giants LB Sean Weatherspoon Mizzou- Giants GM Jerry Reese is like a smarter Al Davis, but with all the obvious picks already off the board I really don't know what he is gonna do. This pick fits a need but Reese doesn't draft for need and is not afraid to take the best player available regardless of position. They need help in the middle( DT & ILB) and could use added depth on an aging OL. If they don't take a LB here i would love to see them get LB Sean Lee in the second round who is someone I have fallen in love with this draft season.
16. Tennessee OLB/DE Sergio Kindle Texas- The Titans need defense, defense, defense! Kindle will improve an AFC worst passing defense with his pass rushing ability. They might also address the secondary taking DBs Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, or S Nate Allen.
17. San Francisco WR Dez Bryant Ok State- They get a #1 receiver here that they haven't had since TO left. I can actually see the 49ers trading this pick but if they don't they can improve on the DL with a DT or a pass rushing OLB/DE.
18. Pittsburgh OG Mike Iupati Idaho- We all know the type of football that Pittsburgh plays and it starts in the trenches ever since they lost Alan Faneca to the Jets the O-line hasn't been the same. With the recent departure of Santonio Holmes, WR Dez Bryant might be too good to pass up with this pick.
19. Atlanta DE Everson Griffen USC - They were hit with the injury bug last year and could look to add depth at several positions. They could also look to find a complement to workhorse Michael Turner and go for a RB like Ryan Matthews or Jahvid Best.
20. Houston CB Kyle Wilson Boise State - They need to fill the void that Dunta Robinson made when he left to Atlanta can also add a Punishing RB to pair with Steve Slaton like Georgia Tech RB Jonathan Dwyer.
21. Cincinnati TE Jermaine Gresham - They look to improve on the offense by adding an athletic pass catching TE here. The Bengals really like defensive players from USC and might be tempted to take super freak S Taylor Mays.
22. New England DT Jared Odrick Penn State- The Patriots are know for getting great value from there first round picks and sometimes make suprise picks. More often then not the take a player on one side of the line and this year is no difference they need help in the pass rush and DL. They can also draft a RB and take some pressure off of Tom Brady's arm and turn a weakness into a strength.
23. Green Bay CB Devin McCourty Rutgers- They can add depth to an aging unit and make the lives of Charles Woodson and Al Harris a lot easier. If OG Mike Iupati is available look for them to shore up an OL that gave up league worst 51 sacks.
24. Philadelphia S Taylor Mays USC - The Eagles need to add some swagger back to that defense and in todays NFL safety is becoming more and more of a premier position. He isn't the best in coverage and has room to improve but his rare athletic ability will make up for a lot.
25. Baltimore DT Brian Price UCLA- Baltimore focuses on what it does best, defense. They add a top level talent that might be the steal of the draft.
26. Arizona LB Brandon Graham Michigan - They need to find a replacement for Karlos Dansby, but won't reach for a LB they could be possibly be a team to trade up if they need to go get one . If not they add to a young OL and add protection for Matt Leinart or Derek Anderson.
27. Dallas OL Bruce Campbell Maryland- The OL is getting old and can bring Campbell along slowly and in a limited use properly developing him in to a fixture for years to come.
28. San Diego RB Ryan Mathews Fresno State- Darren Sproles isn't a feature back so they attend to their biggest need with this pick. Also need help in the secondary and if some of the top players are still available they probably go there first.
29. NY Jets S Nate Allen South Florida- They can turn Revis Island into a continent after picking up Cromartie and if they add S Nate Allen. They also need help in the pass rush department and if they don't get Jason Taylor they might add a DE like Carlos Dunlap or Jerry Hughes.
30. Minnesota CB Patrick Robinson Florida State - Probably go secondary with this pick and take the best player left at that position, can also go with DL.
31. Indianapolis OL Charles Brown USC - Really need to add some pieces to the OL and could also take C/OG Maurkice Pouncey who's versatility will be valuable.
32. New Orleans DE/LB Jerry Hughes TCU - Could also take Hughes' TCU teammate LB Daryl Washington to replace the loss of LB Scott Fujita, but Hughes is more versatile and could also be a situational pass rusher DE.
This year the Carolina Panthers and Chicago Bears don't have first round draft picks so i will give you a little insight in to what each team needs.
Carolina Panthers: First pick is #48- they need help at WR and DE and might be able to find some value at those positions in the middle of the 2nd round. Guys like WRs Branden Lafell and (sleeper)Demaryius Thomas can be available as well as DEs Ricky Sapp or Alex Carrington.
Chicago Bears: First Pick #75 not a very good chance to get a star with this pick but can still get a good player need help at WR, OL, and DB. Should address the WR need first and try to get Jay Cutler someone to throw to a receiver like Jordan Shipley or Dez Briscoe could still be available.
After 12 picks...ReplyDelete
11) Trade up and check.
12) Trade WAY up and... check!? Nice.