Pages

Friday, July 01, 2005

Change the world

Sorry, this is not a link to some wonderful social organization fighting to end world poverty, hunger, AIDS, or the like... Just one of my favorite quotes, this one by Rav Yisroel Salanter [Lipkin], the founder of the modern mussar movement. Very simply put, mussar espouses people to work on themselves; by everyone working on becoming better individuals the world itself will become better as a whole. Rav Salanter said: "I wanted to change the world, but I realized it was too large of a task for one person, so I tried to change my community. That was also too hard, so I tried to change my family. That was also too hard, so I decided to try and change myself. And though it was very hard, I finally changed myself. And once I changed myself, I discovered my family changed, the community changed, and the entire world changed."

No comments:

Post a Comment