(i'll tell you the point of the quiz after, though you may guess it straight away.)
Fill in the following blanks with the word that comes to mind. Don't allow yourself time to think before answering; just write your immediate thought:
- 1. If he is carrying a knife, he is probably ________.
- 2. Politicians are usually ________.
- 3. Male dancers are usually _________.
- 4. All ________ have good rhythm.
- 5. Jewish men make good ________.
- 6. Teachers are usually ________.
- 7. ________ are good at math.
- 8. ________ all sing well.
- 9. Restaurants are usually owned by _________.
Good job. Wasn't that difficult, was it?
So, what was the point of this?
Well, after my college classmates and i had all written down our answers, the professor read question one again. He then asked each girl to say her answer out loud. He did the same with the rest of the questions. We were astonished. So many girls had the same or very similar answers!
The course was titled, "Teaching the Social Studies Spectrum" and the goal of this lesson was to show us that everyone, regardless of religious observance or background, is somewhat prejudiced. If anyone has seen the documentary "Paperclips," I remember one of the teachers saying something along the lines of, "I'm a racist too-- I think of you Northerners as cold and always rushing, as opposed to us laid-back Southerners." Anyhow, I thought it was a cool exercise. Feel free to post your answers, and at some point i'll put up what the most popular responses were, both when these questions were asked to a random group of people and to my class in an all-girls jewish college.