Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Values

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
~ Maimonodies (Rambam)
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
~ C. S. Lewis
On a slightly different note, these two videos were fantastic. The first is Evelyn Glennie on How to listen to music with your body, which is obviously about a lot more than that; not only is she a fascinating speaker and a great percussionist, she's deaf, which likely has helped her be able to understand and explain the ideas so well. The second is Keith Barry, and is just cool.

7 comments:

  1. ::head bobbing from side to side::
    ...and together we will wa-alk in the ways of...

    --oh, don't be so aloof...you know you were doing it to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I got stuck wondering why "Just" wasn't before the third line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    Sometimes the will to survive strengthens when given value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did the Rambam say that? Google produces a whole bunch of cites in the name of Camus, but none seem to have a concrete source for that attribution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's actually unknown who that quote comes from. I googled it also and it gets attributed to a bunch of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh - It came up as Camus and oft-attributed to Maimonodies. I figured Camus came after the Rambam, so I put it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess if it allegedly came from the Rambam (despite sounding foreign in his mouth), it's less strange for Uncle Moishy to have used it. :-)

    ReplyDelete