Pages

Monday, December 01, 2008

Carpe Diem: Seize The Day



They say you should live every day as if it were your last.

I think this is true - to an extent. Obviously, you can't treat people as if you're never going to see them again.

At the same time, it is important to take advantage of opportunities as they arise.

Still, even then, it's important to know what you really want, beyond just what is available.

It's your life. It's your story to unfold.

It's frustrating not to always be in control of that. How can a person seize the day if she can't see what to seize?

Still, though. There are things you do have control over. You shouldn't take advantage of your friendships and other relationships. You shouldn't stay angry at people when it's unwarranted or not an issue anymore. You shouldn't pass up opportunities because you're just not in the mood. You shouldn't let other people boss you around or discourage you from doing something you really want to do. You shouldn't let other people make you think you're not good enough.

It's your life. It's your day to seize.

We all exist for a reason. We all have strengths. It would be so sad if we put those strengths aside because we didn't know how to use them or didn't feel like using them or were too self-conscious about using them. Talents aren't expendable.

I wish we could all have the best lives possible. I wish we could all be happy. I wish we could all make the right choices. I wish people would give all of us a chance. Because we all deserve that chance.*

...Perhaps I should have just posted the video and let it speak for itself, but I wanted this chance to speak to the world. So I took it.

*I apologize for turning passive at the end. I suppose that is the opposite of seizing, isn't it? It's waiting for others to make something available. And yet that, too, is important, because sometimes a thing cannot be seized without it also being offered, in a way. I don't know. I'm only just learning some things still.

2 comments:

  1. my favorite scene:

    -The students begin walking about, some walking casually, others
    making up silly walks. Keating notices that Charlie is still leaning up against one of the pillars.-

    KEATING
    You don't have to perform. Just make it for yourself. Mr. Dalton? You be joining us?

    CHARLIE
    Exercising the right not to walk.

    KEATING
    Thank you, Mr. Dalton. You just illustrated the point. Swim gainst the stream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that one, too. :)

    One of my favorites is Todd Anderson's poem.

    ReplyDelete