Pages

Thursday, December 25, 2008

95 Years of Grandma

(Note: I better not be getting the night wrong.)

Tonight my dear grandmother in Cleveland turns 95, as the 5th light of Chanukah is her (Hebrew) birthday. She may not usually remember who I am anymore, but Reb Abe sent me something last night that puts that into perspective, albeit differently, from R' Aviner:
My friend told me a children's story about an 80 year old man who came to a doctor's office for a treatment. He requested that they perform the treatment as quickly as possible because he is in a hurry.

During the treatment the nurse asked: "Where are you hurrying off to? Do you have an important doctor's appointment?"

"No, I am eating with my wife in the hospital?"

"What is wrong with her?"

"She has had Alzheimer's for a few years already."

"And if you are a little late, will she worry?"

"No, she does not understand what is happening to her. For the last five years she does not recognize anyone, not even me."

"And you visit her every morning even though she does not know who you are?" – the nurse said surprisingly.

"She does not know who I am," the man said smiling, "But I know who she is and who she was."
We love you Grandma, and Happy Birthday!! May you have many more years of smiles! :)

And now, the best song of the season, which is worth reposting every year:

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your Grandma!
    (and that video was very funny)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of the kids with your Grandma are precious. Happy Birthday to her! Always great to watch that video :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May your grandmother have a happy birthday and may you be zocheh to many more years of having her, a precious treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday your grandmother.

    I thought the concept of the video was funny, but the part where they stop the car to run out and get the nickel really bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SR - Thanks :)

    SaraK - ;)

    Irina - Thanks!

    ProfK - Amen.

    Baila - Thanks.

    Re: The video, that's the same complaint people have made each year, which is funny - I actually mentioned to Erachet that very point. I don't think it's bad - I think that it's spoofing the stereotypes about Jews while also making fun of them. Personally, I thought the Big Gulp part is the funniest.

    ReplyDelete